Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive asked before... im going to ask again... :)

So i can get a definate answer.
My corn snake, is tiny, but over weight.
She is no where near the size of adult corns i have seen
but that doesnt bother me, im not going to breed etc etc.
She wont eat large prey, but thats fine, i just feed her 3
(thats how many she will eat) fluffies (mice that have Just got fur).

Anyway, i think (i do) need to cut her food down as she seems to have a fat
supply... but isnt fat all over...

anyway, my question is..

can a adult corn live on a mere 1/2 fluffies?

Gina

i can get a pick to show you the tail buldge, !

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Pic would be good Gina. Plz?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
One of my females has 'hips' but she isnt overweight. She developed them after ovulating when she was 2. If you post pics it might help but cut down the food a bit. How often do you feed her?

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you everyone !

she is a 2005

erm..

here is a pic, its rubbish!!

she doesnt stay still !!

and yea she has ''hips''

feeds every 10 ish days....

do you think she is small ish?

p.s she has a very slight kink in her tail from birth :)

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
Well, if you get some mice that is the same girth as the fattest part of her, then just keep trying with them, dont give her fuffies or anything, and she will start to take them. She wont starve herself,

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she does.

same with my python, he wont eat anything large.

either way, i need to cut her food down.

Well, if you get some mice that is the same girth as the fattest part of her, then just keep trying with them, dont give her fuffies or anything, and she will start to take them. She wont starve herself,

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
Instead of giving it 3, just do 1. And give her plenty of excersize in the bath. Swimming is the best form of excersize after all.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she likes swimming :)
so is one enough to keep her alive? as in it seems nothing.

Instead of giving it 3, just do 1. And give her plenty of excersize in the bath. Swimming is the best form of excersize after all.

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
Mabey one small mouse? There isnt that much size diff between a fluffie and a small is there? And one small if enough to keep her alive, And one fluffie is aswell. As she only needs to loose weight, then you can go back up to two!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
how often do you feed her? Giving her as much exercise as poss would be a good idea. Have you tried rats? or a different colour mouse?
Also how long have you let her 'starve' before giving in and feeding her fuzzies again? if shes only offered larger mice, theres a good chance she'll take them eventually before she starves. She's probably just being fussy!

But yeah, she looks a bit on the small and chubby side to me, but doubt its anything to worry about.: victory:

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you, yea she will take rat pups :) and fluffies. i feed her every 10 ish day.

i think ill just cut back a little and give her excersize!!!

how often do you feed her? Giving her as much exercise as poss would be a good idea. Have you tried rats? or a different colour mouse?
Also how long have you let her 'starve' before giving in and feeding her fuzzies again? if shes only offered larger mice, theres a good chance she'll take them eventually before she starves. She's probably just being fussy!

But yeah, she looks a bit on the small and chubby side to me, but doubt its anything to worry about.: victory:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
she does.

same with my python, he wont eat anything large.

either way, i need to cut her food down.
Hi all,

I have a female Royal Python that would only eat jumbo mice for a long time and rats of the same weight but would not take anything bigger.

So I made her wait longer for her feeds, I then tried moving up in very snall increments it was a very slow process if she refused I would wait till next feed, and always when she was hunting in her viv I would feed her.

She will now take the size of Rat she should have for her size, and strikes like a cruise missile but you have to be patient.

slither61 :snake::snake::snake::snake:

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
If she were mine, i'd cut her down to a rat pup every 10-14 days, with plenty of stair climbing and free roaming in between. : victory:

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
One prey item, every 14 days. It could go months without a single feed with no detrimental effects other than being hungry lol.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Gina your corn isnt very over wieght, so dont go over board with the dieting. She has love handles from ovulating or carrying eggs before (as Layla said), many corns get these.
As for not being able to feed larger food items, this does happen, the best way to up a size mouse is after brumation i have found.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I find the main problem with smaller food items for larger snakes is that they simply don`t have the nutrition the snake needs regardless of how many you feed. Pinks and fuzzies don`t have properly calcified bones, the bones are made from soft cartilage and don`t contain enough calcium for a snake to utilise into adult growth. As the mice of this size are milk fed, they also lack in protein and are higher in fat so the snake cannot develop sufficient muscle.
In my opinion, and others may disagree, i`d really keep trying to get her onto small mice. If she refuses i wouldn`t offer her an alternative. She may go for a few weeks before feeding but i doubt she`d starve herself. You could always try braining the mice....i find a nail hole in the head is often enough to tempt them.

Good luck!: victory:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Gina your corn isnt very over wieght, so dont go over board with the dieting. She has love handles from ovulating or carrying eggs before (as Layla said), many corns get these.
As for not being able to feed larger food items, this does happen, the best way to up a size mouse is after brumation i have found.
Hi Paul, I agree lots, Id say the snake was on the slim side.

I find the main problem with smaller food items for larger snakes is that they simply don`t have the nutrition the snake needs regardless of how many you feed. Pinks and fuzzies don`t have properly calcified bones, the bones are made from soft cartilage and don`t contain enough calcium for a snake to utilise into adult growth. As the mice of this size are milk fed, they also lack in protein and are higher in fat so the snake cannot develop sufficient muscle.
In my opinion, and others may disagree, i`d really keep trying to get her onto small mice. If she refuses i wouldn`t offer her an alternative. She may go for a few weeks before feeding but i doubt she`d starve herself. You could always try braining the mice....i find a nail hole in the head is often enough to tempt them.

Good luck!: victory:

Id also keep on with the trying of larger mice, as Paul said you may need to do it after brumation but also watch she has good enough weight for brumation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts