Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've just rescued a hermanns tortoise from an owner who moving and didn't want to take him, the problem is I know nothing about them, but from what I've been researching and reading I'm starting to think I'm going to need to rehouse him as I'm not sure he has the proper set up for a cozy environment, he's in a large gerbil or rabbit cage, so I'm going to make him a living space in the living room but can anyone tell me if his living space is OK and if I'm just over reacting lol, thanks

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You don’t say how old it is. As a temporary measure that would do for a hatchling as the whole thing can be taken out in good weather, but a permanent outdoor area is essential, with a covered heated area obviously. Do you have pics of it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don’t say how old it is. As a temporary measure that would do for a hatchling as the whole thing can be taken out in good weather, but a permanent outdoor area is essential, with a covered heated area obviously. Do you have pics of it?
[/QUOTE
Yes he is 4 years old, I have his papers too, here's a few photos

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is 4 years old, I have his papers too, here is a photo

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Can’t see the photo, but I’m guessing at 4 years old he’s far too big for a table enclosure. Normally a 4 year old would be around the length of the middle finger, but often, especially when kept indoors they are bigger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is 4 years old, I have his papers too, here is a photo

Snapchat-742949647.jpg

Can’t see the photo, but I’m guessing at 4 years old he’s far too big for a table enclosure. Normally a 4 year old would be around the length of the middle finger, but often, especially when kept indoors they are bigger.
Can you not see this picture, he's so much bigger than my middle finger haha

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Yes, he’s much bigger than he should be and has a lot of deformities (metabolic bone disease) due to his past ‘care’. He definitely needs to be outdoors now where he can be a tortoise. This is how I keep them www.tortsmad.com His diet could do with some attention, paying attention to natural weeds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, he’s much bigger than he should be and has a lot of deformities (metabolic bone disease) due to his past ‘care’. He definitely needs to be outdoors now where he can be a tortoise. This is how I keep them www.tortsmad.com His diet could do with some attention, paying attention to natural weeds.
Omg really, is there anything I can do to help him get better.... Is he going to die?.... What is this bone disease? Can I get him treatment for it. This makes me so bloody angry, this is ppl that's done this to him maybe not in purpose but due to their lack of knowledge on how to properly house and care for their animals or reptiles, I'm actually heartbroken to find this out, you mentioned deformities can u tell me how to spot these as all I see is a tortoise lol, I have been feeding him some tortoise food I got on amazon, its little pellets and dried flowers like dandelions etc, could you also elaborate on keeping him outside as I live in Scotland and would have thought it would get too cold at night for him, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it and so does chaurlii xx

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Omg really, is there anything I can do to help him get better.... Is he going to die?.... What is this bone disease? Can I get him treatment for it. This makes me so bloody angry, this is ppl that's done this to him maybe not in purpose but due to their lack of knowledge on how to properly house and care for their animals or reptiles, I'm actually heartbroken to find this out, you mentioned deformities can u tell me how to spot these as all I see is a tortoise lol, I have been feeding him some tortoise food I got on amazon, its little pellets and dried flowers like dandelions etc, could you also elaborate on keeping him outside as I live in Scotland and would have thought it would get too cold at night for him, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it and so does chaurlii xx

If you go to www.tortoises.net you will find a great list of plant foods for tortoises, along with their care. There are also quite a lot of keepers who have tortoises living in Scotland. MBD shortens tortoises lives, but they can now have a better life with someone who cares, and is finding out how to keep them. You cannot undo what damage has been done, but can improve his/her care from now onwards:0)

Reactions: Lil nicco

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you go to www.tortoises.net you will find a great list of plant foods for tortoises, along with their care. There are also quite a lot of keepers who have tortoises living in Scotland. MBD shortens tortoises lives, but they can now have a better life with someone who cares, and is finding out how to keep them. You cannot undo what damage has been done, but can improve his/her care from now onwards:0)
Thanks so much for the help and advise and for bringing this to my attention as I wouldn't have known otherwise, me and chaurlii are forever grateful xx

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Yes, even I need Scotland, outdoor keeping is possible. I know several people who keep them there, indeed several of my babies now reside in Scotland. The key is giving them a covered area with basking lamp where they can warm their core temp on bad weather days. Outdoors on cold days is fine, so long as there is sun or a basking lamp. Overnight is fine too, so long as no frost forecast, temps need to drop overnight to encourage them to dig in, otherwise they would remain open to predators. The deformities are the lumps on the shell, it should be smooth the same as an egg. Looked at from above there should be no thicker skirt area showing around the bottom, just smooth shell. The shape cannot be changed as this is underlying bone, which in MBD is thickened more porous bone. Does he walk tall on tip toes or close to the ground. He should walk tall. He needs daily supplementation with a calcium/D3 powder such as Nekton MSA, plus lots of sunshine or an in date UVB strip light. Looks as though he’s been sadly missing these, plus the pelleted food won’t have helped, far too much protein. I’d bin these as they are not good for tortoises at all. Sadly there are no regulations on tortoise food, so manufacturers can churn out any old rubbish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, even I need Scotland, outdoor keeping is possible. I know several people who keep them there, indeed several of my babies now reside in Scotland. The key is giving them a covered area with basking lamp where they can warm their core temp on bad weather days. Outdoors on cold days is fine, so long as there is sun or a basking lamp. Overnight is fine too, so long as no frost forecast, temps need to drop overnight to encourage them to dig in, otherwise they would remain open to predators. The deformities are the lumps on the shell, it should be smooth the same as an egg. Looked at from above there should be no thicker skirt area showing around the bottom, just smooth shell. The shape cannot be changed as this is underlying bone, which in MBD is thickened more porous bone. Does he walk tall on tip toes or close to the ground. He should walk tall. He needs daily supplementation with a calcium/D3 powder such as Nekton MSA, plus lots of sunshine or an in date UVB strip light. Looks as though he’s been sadly missing these, plus the pelleted food won’t have helped, far too much protein. I’d bin these as they are not good for tortoises at all. Sadly there are no regulations on tortoise food, so manufacturers can churn out any old rubbish.
What a joke, the food I bought (pellets) was specifically for tortoises, or so I thought, but I think ice solved the problem lol I've orderd a grow your own tortoise food pack from amazon and it should arrive in a day or two, after speaking to you yesterday I went online and searched for healthy tortoise vrz mbd in tortoise and when I saw the pictures I knew straight away what you were referring to by diformaties, it's more prominent on his spine the bumps etc, I'm just sad that the damage can't be rectifyed and so angry that this poor wee guy has this due to lack of care, it boils my blood honestly, but taking your advice and me and my dad who is a joiner are making him a big enclosure for the garden, so that shouldn't take too long. Can I just ask though, has the uvb lamp to be inside his wee house outside or just placed anywhere in the enclosure and should I insolate the wooden house like wrap it in tarp outside, sorry I'm just curious as I want to give this wee guy a really good life, something that he clearly hasn't had the joy of experiencing yet!, so yeah any advice would be amazing, thanks again and sorry if I'm being a pest lol.
Thanks very much for the reply

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
What a joke, the food I bought (pellets) was specifically for tortoises, or so I thought, but I think ice solved the problem lol I've orderd a grow your own tortoise food pack from amazon and it should arrive in a day or two, after speaking to you yesterday I went online and searched for healthy tortoise vrz mbd in tortoise and when I saw the pictures I knew straight away what you were referring to by diformaties, it's more prominent on his spine the bumps etc, I'm just sad that the damage can't be rectifyed and so angry that this poor wee guy has this due to lack of care, it boils my blood honestly, but taking your advice and me and my dad who is a joiner are making him a big enclosure for the garden, so that shouldn't take too long. Can I just ask though, has the uvb lamp to be inside his wee house outside or just placed anywhere in the enclosure and should I insolate the wooden house like wrap it in tarp outside, sorry I'm just curious as I want to give this wee guy a really good life, something that he clearly hasn't had the joy of experiencing yet!, so yeah any advice would be amazing, thanks again and sorry if I'm being a pest lol.

Thanks very much for the reply
You’re not being a pest at all, this is why long term keepers check in, to help tortoises and their owners. You will only need uvb outside (in his covered area with a heat lamp) in periods of bad weather or you could give a Nekton MSA supplement which contains D3, which is essentially what happens when the sun converts calcium to D3. Rather than a hut, a greenhouse or large cold frame will give him the light he needs, as it’s light levels that stimulate activity along with a hot spot of 32c. A hut will work of course, but you will need more heat as it’s going to be much colder than a clear covered area. It will need to be waterproof as in cold weather, the mixture of cold and damp would be detrimental to his health. Yes it’s very annoying to see not only what rubbish is available in pet stores but also that the assistants are trained to tell you that it’s what they need. Your seeds to grow on will take a while to mature (which is when you feed them), so meanwhile it’s easy enough to collect weeds from the countryside. I manage to get a large sackful daily in summer, except when the verges are cut, which they’ve just been now. Good luck and well done you for turning this little guy around. Even though his bumps can’t be ironed out, his health can still be improved and his bones will strengthen :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts