Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I have just run over the tail of my 16 month old corn.
I was feeding it on the floor and sitting in a office chair with wheels as I looked down the wheel moved and caught the last inch of tail under the wheel :oops: :( , it has gone very red, there was no blood and the skin is not broken, and it immediatley took the second mouse and ate that one as normal, is there any bone in that part of the tail and what should I do? thanks for help.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
If there is no bleeding or swelling there isnt much you can do, it MAY be broken depending on exactly where you caught it, in which case it should heal on its own given time. If not.. well same goes really! Given time it should heal reasonably well.
The snake should not be in pain or distressed if it has since taken food - sounds like you may have been lucky!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hes now in his water bowl which i've never seen him do, so i think he may be in some pain.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
You leave your snake on the floor without keeping complete attention on it? :D When older do corns really get that lazy?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was feeding so not really going anywhere.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Poor wee mite. I cant suggest anything more im afraid - snakes have quite an impressive healing capacity though so Im sure they'll be feeling much better soon. Accidents happen :(

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, it moves after feeding,but i did it while the mouse was half in/out of its mouth, and it generally stays in one place, i'm not making excuses, i should have been watching it, i'm going to buy a plastic box for next feed, lesson learnt.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
I didn't mean it to sound offensive! I just honestly wanted to know if they calm down when older. Cause my two lil ones are hyper as hell lol.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no probs Trice, i dont really know if they calm down as mines only just over a year old and except when its feeding it never stays still when out.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I hate to give this sort of advice, but I'd rush it to a vet, and get an opinion from a pro. It may need x-raying, taking anti-inflammatory, god knows.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If it's just the last inch it shouldn't have affected the hemipenes - unless it has a very short tail!
I'd keep an eye on it - if it starts to swell or discolour then get him to a vet. If it's badly damaged he may eventually lose that section or have to have it removed, but for now I'd say just check him once a day, keep him clean and keep handling to a minimum and see how it goes.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quick update, i've just had him out quick to check, the tail has gone back to normal shape, it was a bit flat yesterday, the redness has gone down but there is still a bit and he let me touch it today, which yesterday i tried and he almost struck at me and he used it to wrap around my finger.
So hopefully it will be ok and i was really lucky.
Mark67123 it is about 6 inches from the vent and half an inch from the tip of the tail, so i dont think theres any problems there.
Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good to hear that Mark :D as Mark say's still keep your eye on it for the next few days & as if it looks not good get him to the vet.
Trice, my fully grown girlie is quite calm. when I get her out (which isnt often :oops: ) she has a mad 5 minutes then will curl on my lap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts