Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help..... I've got a lovely little african house snake, who's been with me a year or so now...

However she hasn't been handled as much as usual over the past few weeks and the past couple of times I've gone to get her out she's struck at me.

Now I've turned into a complete wuss, and I'm jumpy and flinch and this in turn is making her do the same thing....

Its a viscious circle if I'm too scared to get her out, she doesnt get handled or cleaned out ......:bash:

·
Registered
778 Posts
leave her to rest. The just put your hand straight in and pull her out
If you keep hesitating and pulling your hand back she will get scared and defend herself. If you are really worried just put her in a tub while you clean it out then put her back.: victory:

·
Registered
17,937 Posts
i have a royal like that,and its not nice and is quite scary ...but i just went to local gardening centre got some good gloves :)... hes still very nervous but doesnt strike anymore and my hand stays in one peice

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Mrs M, got any riding gloves? The ones with the pimples. I find if I lose a bit of confidence with a snake, these are thick enough to not feel most bites but thin enough to be able to feel the snake whilst handling.

I may put both gloves on for a while then go down to one and eventually none.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rach..... Victor Meldrew has just gone out to the shed to get me some gloves, hopefully then I wont be as jumpy and I can get her cleaned out and back into the swing of things.....

·
Registered
17,937 Posts
lol,gloves are the way forward ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
i have a royal like that,and its not nice and is quite scary ...but i just went to local gardening centre got some good gloves :)... hes still very nervous but doesnt strike anymore and my hand stays in one peice
I agree get some gloves, my JCP used to be really nippy as a baby. Handling with gloves made me alot more confident and because i was relaxed he was less stressed and it allowed me to handle him more. He's a real softy now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
As above gloves are a good way of building your confidence back up. Had to do it with one of mine. Often they are just defensive til out so I used the glove to get it out then had someone to take my glove off while it was on my other arm.
You are right that they pick up on your behaviour and this make them worse so a few goes at getting it out confidently (helped by the glove) should make a big difference.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
whats the worst that can happen.....she bites you , far far less painful than a hamster bite or a stubbed toe, the way forward it balls it out, be deliberate, open the viv let her move away (if she 's's up she will still eventually move off.once she has started to move away, pick her up.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She's all clean.....

Gloves worked a treat... thanks guys !!!: victory:

Once she was out of her viv, she was fine, so I was happy to take them off.... and spend a few mins with my lovely friendly snake again.....:flrt:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
whats the worst that can happen.....she bites you , far far less painful than a hamster bite or a stubbed toe, the way forward it balls it out, be deliberate, open the viv let her move away (if she 's's up she will still eventually move off.once she has started to move away, pick her up.

You're right.... but the thought of her biting me really freaks me out....

Should be used to it really my African Grey can be a nippy bugger and he really can hurt !!!!!:lol2:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think with me it was the "dont like things making me jump" thing as I knew it didnt hurt as he had got me before!

I used gloves too but I go it without now. Just takes a bit to get confidence back I think!! Another thing I found helped was waiting til it had gone past the door where i get him out and then getting him half way down his body, that way he is too busy trying to slither off than trying to defend himself.

Congratz on getting your lil fella sorted: victory:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts