Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of people have given me advice on what to do!!
Ive decided to keep them together as there is NO aggression and they are getting on fine.
Royals are not just solitery, they are placid and social to anything and would only attack if serverely provoked.I have covered the viv with a towel and im going to leave them alone for a week - dont worry ill have a sneaky peak at them every day and only bother them to change the water (once every two days) and clean out any stools.

On Sunday ill put my classic royal in a travel box and then feed the pastel in the viv.
If after much persistance it doesnt strike ill put it in another heated travel box overnight with a fuzzie and hopefully it will eat it!!
If the pael doesnt eat it ill repeat the proccess nex week.
If after a couple of weeks it hasnt fed ill try as a last resort assisst feeding which i have only eer done twice but both done successfuly!!

Thanks fort yor help!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ive decided to keep them together as there is NO aggression and they are getting on fine.
Royals are not just solitery, they are placid and social to anything and would only attack if serverely provoked.
Placid is *not* the same as happy. They tolerate handling because their survival strategy in the wild is to hold still then sneak off once the threat is gone - this does not make them social creatures!

Just because they aren't fighting/chasing/biting or any other extreme which *you* would consider as not 'getting on fine' does not mean that they are happy. Royals are known for being very prone to stress, and the first sign of that is usually that they stop eating... so attempting to persuade one to start eating under those conditions is not going to be easy for you, and is not fair on the snake.

If after much persistance it doesnt strike ill put it in another heated travel box overnight with a fuzzie and hopefully it will eat it!!
How big is this heated travel box? Assuming that by 'heated' you also mean 'controlled by thermostat', the snake may well be better off living in it full time, with no handling and no other snake to be dominated by.

·
Registered
419 Posts
is it just me or have you completly ignored most of what these well informed/expert people have suggested to you???

im not having a go or anything just hoping it turns out ok for you

good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
you need to separate these two royals asap

if you decide not to, this little royal will not start feeding and then die from starvation!!! is that what you want ??

there are some very knowlegable people on this forum, i really do hope you start listening to there advise, or you may as well have chucked £300 down the toilet.

what size viv do you have them in at the mo??

you can buy small tubs quite cheap these days
i use these, just have to put air holes in them and they come in different sizes
Wilkinson Plus - –Home Living–Kitchen–Plastic Storage - Crystal Storage Box and Lid Clear 16ltr  

once you have got the tub put two hides in and a water bowl, place it half on, half off a heatmat(connected to a thermostat)

then place the little royal in to it, and leave undisturbed for at least 7 days(in this time i dont normally change the water, unless its dirty, i just keep an eye on the water level)

then on day 7, defrost some food and just place it in front of the hide dont wiggle it or anything, put the lid back on carefully cover the box with a sheet/blanket/towel(be careful not to block the air holes) and just leave it for 24 hours, in that period of time dont be tempted to have a look or you will disturb the royal,

couple of weeks with this method is normally very sucsessful

and please do listen to the people on here who are giving advice as most of us do know what we are talking about

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
should that not perhaps read...

Ive decided to keep them together as i can't afford to get a second set up

as that is just about the only reason i can see for you being as stupid as to ignore the advice being given.

royals ARE solitary animals. they do not have a pack structure, they do not interact with each other in the wild unless its for sex.

someone has been stupid enough to let you spend a good amount of money on a snake that will almost certainly be dead in 6 weeks time. and you are being dense enough to ignore the advice being given to you.

i know people who have kept snakes for years and STILL struggle to get a non feeding royal going.. incidently.. a 3.5 week old royal, in many cases, should not have even been offered a meal so many times so young..

cases like this make me shudder.. here we have an inexperienced youngster who has spent a lot of money on a beautiful animal who is 95% likely to die if it carries on being kept as it is. tbh.. cases like this make me AGREE with the antis.. we should NOT be keeping exotic pets when so many clearly have not the the faintest idea how to do it.

do you not realise, that your pet might be placid as its too ill to be agressive? for the love of all thing living PLEASE take some advice from people who know better.. split the two of them up

quite apart from anything else... how would you like to come down one morning and find something like this?

and yes, maybe agressive posting will not get anywhere.. but all the nicey nicey posts this lad had last night have made b*****r all difference have they?

don't be a numpty.. get them split up.. if you cannot afford it, i am sure between us all we could rustle up enough plastic tubs and flower pots to make a second set up.

N

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
WOW!
kinda shocked by this thread :(

These members who most have kept reptiles for years are giving you the best advice they can offer and your chosing to ignore it.

If its a young royal you can get tubs for less than £10!

Just becuase they seem alright now, doesn't mean they're happy.

AND IF THE PICTURES DON'T MAKE YOU THINK TWICE THEN . . . words fail me!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
dude take the advice give and seperate the 2 beautiful snakes as soon as otherwise your more than likely going to have a dead royal on your hands and although it may not be directly your fault you, you will have contributed to it by being so neive as to not take good advice in a time of need!

·
Registered
441 Posts
non feeders can be a pian but they will eat, they need to be alone in a small space where they cannot be bothered by another snake, even if they seem to get along well. i had a non feeded royal and she was 6 weeks old, i got her for 10 and within 4 weeks of me trying to feed her once a week she finally took it, they must be solitary when so young, it helps them settle in and get used to the new smells etc, where there are 2 present they seem to do badly as babies.

serious mate take heed to people, its only advice, which in the long run may save youe snakes life, and if you keep em you should care about em.!

·
Registered
441 Posts
this is what the forums for m8, get advice and use it, how do you think any of us sucessfully keep our reptiles? by asking others! people who have more experience and know what they are on about m8.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
On Sunday ill put my classic royal in a travel box and then feed the pastel in the viv.
If after a couple of weeks it hasnt fed ill try as a last resort assisst feeding which i have only eer done twice but both done successfuly!!

Thanks fort yor help!!
it would be best to feed the snake outside the viv...

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Lots of people have given me advice on what to do!!
Royals are not just solitery, they are placid and social to anything and would only attack if serverely provoked.I have covered the viv with a towel and im going to leave them alone for a week - dont worry ill have a sneaky peak at them every day and only bother them to change the water (once every two days) and clean out any stools.

Thanks fort yor help!!
You've been given sound advice from some very knowledgeable people on this forum and have (as has been previously mentioned) chosen to completely ignore this advice.

It is very apparent that if the advice given doesn't suit YOU then it will be ignored. Your snake will be the one to suffer, but when it dies you will be the one moaning.

If you ask for advice, and receive it, then go away and use it, otherwise don't ask for it!

·
Banned
9,373 Posts
Just spoken to the person that hes got this royal from and it has fed at the place of purchase and you was informed to take the snake back into the place every week for it to be fed. Im sorry but Adam you MUST phone the person you bought this from if needs be PM me and ill send you the number, they are more than happy to help you out.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I always feed my Royal outside the viv.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Yep i kinda do also...i usualy feed mine on the tub lid...

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
what bothers me is that you have come on here for advice and this has been given yet you still ignore so why ask in the first place this forum will give you sound advice please listen to it and take notes on what you are being told ...once again i ask you for the third time what is the size of the viv that you are keeping the royals in and what temps are the hot and cold size

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
I had the same problem. I came here for advice when i bought my royals, they were kept together etc etc, I came here for help and realy wanted to keep them together, but the people here now what there talking about (inc me....most the time :lol2:) and know they are seperate ( i seperated them once i was told) now they are fine...and i still have both...both are "happy" they will happily come out on you etc, and are more conident than when they were together.

There your snakes you do what you want...but if you want to do the right thing, listen to the people here.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Your ignoring advice from people that have been keeping snakes for over 20 years and are sentencing to snakes to death because of your ignorance!! Listen to the advice given or don't ask for it!!

At the end of the day they're your snakes and we are only trying to help you and keep your snakes alive!!: victory:

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I have spent some time removing arguments and personal disagreement from this thread.

Please do not post if you are not trying to help the original poster in regards to his decision to keep these 2 royal pythons together in the same viv, and the feeding regime he has chosen.

Can we please not go off on a rant about ages and sellers and prices of things in this thread.

I have been assured that his parents are aware of the situation (and were present at purchase) and that the seller is now aware of this thread and will hopefully by contacting people in order to ensure that feeding is successful...

Lets try and help python to make the right decision regarding the husbandry of his snakes, and not make accusations or judgements as to how he got them in the first place.

·
Banned
9,373 Posts
Ive already posted this in another of Pythons threads but will repost it here just to ensure he sees it.

Assist feeding should only be done has a last resort not in the space of a few days you must let the snake settle in before even attempting to feed. Royals are prone to be fussy eaters some adults and some youngsters can go for quite awhile without feeding some people have even had their royal pythons which are a healthy weight go without food for more than 6 months then suddenly start eating again. Its their feeding pattern some royals are different to others which is common sense.
Now A few have said to split the snakes up put them in different tubs/vivs. I do keep my royals together but obviously the same size or closer without any problems what so ever. But there is always a case of them eating each other which is more prone to after feeding due to the scent of the prey still being on the House mates so to speak. A few people on the forums like to keep their snakes apart to not RISK the chance of eating each other but over all the years i've kept and bred snakes I have never came across that problem. But advice from me to you Adam split the snakes up and get the new royal feeding first that is the main priority. Ok fair enough you have made a mistake we do not dislike you due to that we will give you advice and guidence that you need please take note to what I have said and by the way you have a PM.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Put simply... this is my take.

I think (and I am guilty of this myself sometimes), you may have bought the Royal, thinking that it could be kept as a pair with the one you have. It is an easy mistake to make, as you see countless shops housing them together etc

With that in mind, I think that now you have it, and have been told it is a bad idea, you have a problem. You don't have a second set up. If this is the case, all is not lost! What you do need to do is work on the immediate problem. I am sure the person you got the snake from knows someone who could lend you something until you get the money together to buy a set up.. but get a set up you must do! For now, a temp home can be set up.. but you do need to sort something. Talk to all you know, beg and borrow (I do it all the time, so don't worry ;P). Don't bury your head in the sand, and NEVER be embarrassed to address problems such as this. We have all been there, and made the mistakes.. it is because of this we can pass on advice.

The new snake needs a bit of rest etc before you try to feed it again.. so worry not, they can go a while without eating.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts