Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey everyone i don't even post here much any more but well i have something on my mind and would liek to here what people got to say.

I own a Jack Russell who is 6months old, and well when i tell people his breed they always tell me to watch my kids and there known for being exremely snappy.

Now i just don't understand how people can just come out and say that without knowing him on bit.

I bought him at 8weeks old he has grew up so far with my children no problem my son was 3months daughter two. Anyway so far i have had zero snapping, no biting, no growling, no aggression.

The only issue we ever had was toilet training, and scratching NO fault of his own in play just a case of claws cut and plenty of walks.

So where has this 'snappy' personality come from i have no idea why lot's say it to me have they had bad publicity or are they known as a snappy breed someone please explain and your opinion or experiences on it :3

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a 6 year old male Jack Russell.
Although he can be a bit funny with other dogs when on the lead he has NEVER shown aggresive behaviour towards children or adults.
I have four nieces and nephews aged 5, 4, 2 and newborn who all visit me regularly and my JR is fine with them. Even when they are pulling his ears off lol. He puts up with a lot!
I think you should always be careful no matter what the breed of dogs as they can all bite! But that also means that all the stereotype snappy dogs aren't necessarily that way! Nobody knows your dog better than you do...
(sorry if this wasn't useful, just my experience!)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
my Jack Russel is 11 years old .We had her at about 14 weeks old and our kids were both 7 years old.She's been a perfect family dog in every way and loved the kids .She's never had a days illness.She's still bright,fit and playful and not like an old dog at all.Not a type of dog that I would have chosen,she just came along . I've no regrets at all,she's neither snappy or yappy:2thumb:

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
honest answer? from people who buy them, forget their a working breed thats bred to kill things, let them get away with murder because there small and think they dont need much exercise. then you get the rapidly becoming typical yappy, snappy, hyperactive, disobedient jack russell.

il be honest, thats what i thought about the breed before the farmer bought his original pair (now a team of four dogs). you rarely hear a sound out of them, none of them would ever dream of snapping at a person (or any animal they havnt been encouraged to go after), their laid back and they (usually) behave beautifully. his grandkids play with them whenever their over and they just wander off when it gets too much.

now his dogs are working dogs, which for people who believe everything they read believe makes them vicious. nothing of the sort. their doing what they were bred for, and when they arnt doing that (most of the time if truths known) they get walked miles every day. they arnt treated like babies, their treated as valuable dogs.

for me, the bottom line is that for the jack russells rep to improve, people need to learn what their taking on. its a working animal with a high prey drive, not a lapdog (though most will happily do this if other requirements are met).

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I expect the reputation is because they are terriers, bred for hunting things.
Plus as stated above because they are small people don't bother to train them properly.
Our russells came from a litter of 5. The other 3 were brought up with my step sisters baby, ours have been brought up around him, my nieces and any other children they happen to meet. Daisy our bitch is completely happy around children. Kevin the dog on the other hand needs to be watched. He gets very jealous over anything I am paying attention to, so I do ned to be careful, especially around the 15 month old. He has gone to snap at him a few times now when the child has been annoying him.

I was bitten on the face by a JRT when I was little, I fell on her and she snapped. But because of that it means I pay extra attention around mine. I think all dogs have the potential to snap.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I have to admit a Jack Russell and the larger worky type say yorkshire terriers would be top of my list for dogs I would NEVER have around children.

Dogs no matter what you teach them do have breeds for a reason and breed traits, breed traits in an animal such as a working type collie remain such as they tend to keep low to the ground, a German shepherd, maybe over a hundred years since they were largely used for pastoral work, will still be prone to herding its owners, swinging behind them and guiding them the way they should go, and anxious when the group split up. Terriers are pest control, genetically programmed with prey drive towards small squeaky animals even up to the size of badgers and low inhibition to nip. As much as you love them a child is a small and often squeaky animal up to about the size of a badger! They are also fast animals, and not very expressive (sure you can tell your terriers expressions, compared to many other breeds it is not that easy) so hard especially for a non family member or child to pick up body language that they are getting stressed towards a bite situation.

I use to be a nurse and although I was a ward nurse, in the evenings we often were the first people to answer a call to the minor injury unit. Really just to greet the patient and call the onduty doctor if needed, but we could do minor things, dressings, steristriping, minor stitches etc and had a far number of dog bites come through for cleaning and order antibiotics to collect the following day (adults only, children were always at least seen by the doctor if not sent to the main town some 40 mins away). I can recall maybe 2 or 3 that were collies types, other than that very close on 100% were generic terriers, and no I do not mean staffy types either.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have JRT x, had her since i was 9 years old, i'm now 22 and she's still going strong, not had any issues with her, she was quite mouthy as a pup but we put a stop to that early on as those needle sharp puppy teeth really do pack a punch at play time.

She's not one to take rough and tumble and will tell you when she's had enough, not so much a snap more of a nip, but thats only since the past couple years now she's in double figures and only really if you try pick her up without being gentle about it.
She's would never dream of being aggressive though, she loves children to bits and anyone else who will give her attention.
She's a very well behaved dog, she'll do whatever you ask of her and no means no, she's got that in the bag!

She does very much have small dog syndrome though, possibly because of the Chihuahua in her, she wont think twice about trotting up to a great dane and giving it a piece of her mind. Again not aggressively as in she wants to fight, just a bit of barking as she passes them in the park just to say she's not afraid and if they're on a lead and she's not she does the big i am. She runs the other way if they come after her though which makes me laugh!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ours is a jack russell chiuhaha cross aswell, and he's a little angel around children. He comes to work with me pretty often, and he usually rolls over for belly rubs for the kids that see him. Had a little boy in a while ago who got a bit rough patting him on the head, he just turned around and walked off. Not even a grumble out of him.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
She does very much have small dog syndrome though, possibly because of the Chihuahua in her, she wont think twice about trotting up to a great dane and giving it a piece of her mind. Again not aggressively as in she wants to fight, just a bit of barking as she passes them in the park just to say she's not afraid and if they're on a lead and she's not she does the big i am. She runs the other way if they come after her though which makes me laugh!!!
A brilliant example of possibly why they have a bad rep. Whilst saying it is a well behaved dog, have also mentioned it nips them! Who would think that normal if someone says their Rottie ends play by using its teeth, no matter what the age?

Also it makes them laugh when it barks so much it initiates another dog to go after it. No thought to the next JR owner whose dog that large dog meets. When their little dog gets chased seemingly without reason other than in their mind that the larger dog is dangerous or aggressive. When actually the larger dog has been taught to react this way to this breed from the barky little dog it met yesterday.

It would be far far more unlikely the average great dane owner, if the situations were reversed, would not do all they could to not allow their dog to bark at others. Especially at a poor dog stuck on a lead whilst the barky dog was off. Dogs do not understand size the way we do, often a small dog can be head of a pack full of larger breeds. I know my german shepherd would feel uneasy getting mouthed at by a chihuahua when she is stuck on lead and unable to get away. Similar to an older lady would feel intimidated by a 10 year old she doesn't know throwing a chain of swear words at her, even if the child is far smaller than her.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well to be honest i couldn't really care less, its not like she actually goes near to the other dog to deliberately provoke it, i lose count of the amount of dogs that bark at mine from the other side of the road and i don't judge them for it, they're dogs, they bark, get over it.

As for the nipping, i don't blame her, she's a very old dog, i wouldn't wanna be picked up and passed around either at that age. At least she's not hurting anyone, that's just her way of saying Please don't do that.
I've been bitten before by a dog, and i'll take full responsibility for it, the dog was agitated and i was messing with him, we wasn't young and it turned out he had blocked anal glands. No one wants to be poked and prodded when they're feeling under the weather. Certainly not going to tell 'em off for it.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
a friend we visit regularly has always had JRTs although they are down to one now. Their dogs have always been well trained and done what they were asked and when they were asked. The only issue i have ever seen with him is he is easily excited with people but he has always insticively been gentle with small children.
I honestly believe the majority of naughty/nasty or aggressive dogs actually have bad owners who fail to meet the needs of the dog even if it is simply because they do not understand the needs the breed they have rather than lazyness.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
My very first dog was a Jack Russell Terrier named Joe, not one of these modern daft miniature JRTs, but a traditional old style JRT, with a full tail thankfully. We rescued him at 2 years old from the RSPCA. When I brought him home, a neighbour said to my mum "why have you got one of those, they are snappy". This almost put my mum off. But Joe was a star. He loved everyone, kids included, was great with other dogs, no problem with other animals (even mice & rabbits!), & was so intelligent he knew lots of commands & tricks. He was attacked a couple of times, once by a Rottweiler & another time by an American Bulldog, needing treatment after. But this never altered his attitude towards other dogs. He was sadly put to sleep last year, at the age of 17. The best dog in the world, he taught me so much about dogs, & I miss him every day.

Here he was with one of our Siamese cats & our rabbit

Him with 2 of our other dogs

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
The problem with so many things is that as soon as you've had a bad experience with one, its very easy to apply this to the breed in general.

We got our Jack Russel and constantly had 'oh my, I'm so surprised it's a Jack Russel because it's so nice to your children....arent' they meant to be nasty?'.

She is the best little terrier we've owned - great with all other dogs, patience of a saint with children, and to this day is a formidable 'nanny' with puppies. We've never been a 'small dog' family, but she fit right into the pack and put the cat's rat-catching skills to shame.

If there was any small dog I'd own, it would only ever be a JRT.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all your replies guys!

Well my JR is full of beans i take him on a few short walks in the days and then go to field with my kids and him so he can run about.

Dougie listens very well it's like he understands every word you say, i can only be grateful for a good dog trainer telling me so many tips and advice to train before i bought him and while he was young just to do everything training wise early s possible like seeing other dogs, take him to public places with noise ect now i have no issues walking, of lead anything he just listens to me.

It just irritates me when people go oh watch out for them sort of dogs, well it's not the breed it's how you bring your dog up!

He does have the bark that sounds like a typical terrier lol but he doesn't bark unless were playing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Jack russells

I have a Jack Russell called Minnie who is now 20 months old. She is the softest dog ever! She has been taught from the day i got her to be gentle and is happy to have rats and mice on her and also 'kisses' my sisters guinea pig and bunny. I havent got children but minnie loves them! i guess it all depends on how they have been bought up :) staffys also have a bad reputation but i have one of them too n he is soft too :) Dont listen to what others say...you know your dog and what to trust him to do and thats all that matters :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts