Reptile Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
9 out of 12 have eaten something now, still using same chick scenting method. 2 of the 9 have now taken just normal defrost pinkies, those 2 will probably feature in my holdbacks in the hope that being a good feeder is somewhat genetic.

Going to try something else for the stubborn 3 left over, and if that doesn't work I will assist feed them.
Fantastic news Tom!

Having recently overcome issues with cheynei carpets and Stimsons, I have a new found appreciation for those dedicated in raising tricky feeders.

Really pleased for you 馃憤

Andy

Registered
It's great when hatchlings start feeding... I'm still having issues with a single royal, where as all 8 of his siblings are on their third or fourth feed. May try scenting a hopper mouse by rubbing it on a quail to see if that works !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes Andy, It can be a real pain. Carpets in particular, the method I used for the jamboas is the same I used for carpets and stubborn gtps.

Malc, yes definitely try scenting with birds, if you do use blood as well as feathers. Makes a huge difference from my experience.

Registered
I'm trying to think how Jersey got theirs going and I'm fairly sure they skinned a chick thigh and put a pink inside the chick thigh skin.
Might be wrong as there were some ingenious methods being used to feed Round Island Boas too.

Registered
Fantastic news that you got some of those beauties feeding Tom , I'm sure they will all eventually feed given time.

One suggestion I would make is to offer them food at night (late as poss) , my theory being once the environment and therefore the snake is cooler it can cue their nocturnal instincts. Of course a cooler snake detects prey that is essentially far warmer more efficiently , if that makes sense.

This is something I've had some success with in terms of North American Pituophis , whom require warmer temps than my Mexican natives.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Fantastic news that you got some of those beauties feeding Tom , I'm sure they will all eventually feed given time.

One suggestion I would make is to offer them food at night (late as poss) , my theory being once the environment and therefore the snake is cooler it can cue their nocturnal instincts. Of course a cooler snake detects prey that is essentially far warmer more efficiently , if that makes sense.

This is something I've had some success with in terms of North American Pituophis , whom require warmer temps than my Mexican natives.
Thanks Al, hope you're well.
That is what I have been doing, I have also found night time feeding is best for stubborn snakes, particularly pythons and boas. Good tip!

I'm trying to think how Jersey got theirs going and I'm fairly sure they skinned a chick thigh and put a pink inside the chick thigh skin.
Might be wrong as there were some ingenious methods being used to feed Round Island Boas too.
Thanks Ian, for these ones I covered the pinkies in chick blood and then rolled them in chick feathers but I may try the skinning as a more 'intense' method.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts