Reptile Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
:2thumb:Smart.
I've got a 60*45*60 cm exo with Heat mat for background warmth. Just need to add the lighting rig. Most of the care sheets I've read seem to have a waterfall, don't they drink from still water?

I was planning on a planted type set up with a water feature of some sort but not as wet as a dartfrog type of set up.

It's good to see someone say the dimensions. I know you can work out what size 20 gallons is but 45*45*45 cm makes more sense (well it does to me).

I put a note in the classifieds and now have some on order.

How are you getting on with the ET waterfall I've seen some threads that don't rate them for reliability. I have to admit that was what I looked at initially until read them. So I've been dabbling with the idea of getting a Eheim compact 300 pump and some rocks

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

Thats the viv, tub in the middle with moist soil, as I think one of them is gravid. (In cm, the viv is 60x45x45 - i put it in inches originally). I have no doubt that they'd happily drink still water, but I think they enjoy running water, sometimes they'll lie down the waterfall so the water tickles their underside - once mo was doing that, and the water ultimately dripped off her tail into the base of the waterfall, but binky saw this and drank the drips off her tail :2thumb:. The waterfall isn't by any means fantastic, but it does the job, gets gungy internally quite easily and manky if they crap in it!. They enjoy it as a rock and a drinking place though, so I think I'd be in their bad books if it ever went away. If it ever runs a little low it makes a horrible noise, so it needs topped up when this happens.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Sometimes you can force them into sleeping, gently stroking their heads above their eyes.

Binky usually goes out like a light when you do it.
Scooby doesn't fall asleep.
And Mo... well she gets angry first, but falls asleep in the end

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
dude...not wanting to sound liek a know it all...but your not suposed to do that to lizards.... its bad for them...its causing a lack of oxygen and therfore inducing the "sleep" effect...your basically forcing it to pass out....

edit to add..
atleast i belierve this to be the case, worth checking.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Cheers deam, I'll bear that in mind, didn't realise that was the case. They've never been 'sleeping' for longer than a minute when I've done that, thought maybe it was like a playing dead defence mechanism.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
it could be part to do with that, like if they do it quicker... liek "well this is the effect the big scary bloke is after"
still wouldnt be advisable I wouldnt have thought.
Makes a fairly cute pic though...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Took some pics:
Binky - looking a lot healthier than when he returned from his long term absence. Notice he has a slight coppery tint to him that the others lack, though his dewlap has no yellow.

Mo (top) and Scooby - you can see the difference in patterns here, Mo has a yellowish dewlap like Scooby, but she's hiding hers.

Mo(left) and Scooby against the glass. Mo's green is a more minty one, whereas Scooby is a very rich shade, and has been since her recent shed. Yellow dewlaps are visible on both here.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Don't suppose anyone might be able to shed some light on why the underside of Scooby is quite mucky looking, but not gradually, it just changes suddenly:

The top of her is all the same contrast/tone, its just the underside really, she's fully shed there so its nothing like that. It's been noticable for a while, but has gotten darker. She doesn't behave any differently, just thought someone might know whats causing it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Like she's normal looking and then just changes to this?? Is it a fast change?

from the pic it looks like there's a pretty clear area that's affected.

she looks pretty chirpy, is she off her food or anything.

Sorry, I know as much about these as you do but this might give someone else an idea (and me something to lookout for when I get mine...)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Like she's normal looking and then just changes to this?? Is it a fast change?

from the pic it looks like there's a pretty clear area that's affected.

she looks pretty chirpy, is she off her food or anything.

Sorry, I know as much about these as you do but this might give someone else an idea (and me something to lookout for when I get mine...)
It's been getting more noticable over the past few months, she seems more than happy and she eats more than the other two. Thanks anyway :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Any news about Scooby??

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Any news about Scooby??
Nothing new, she still has the darkness on her belly, but is as lively as ever. Though she's the most handleable of the lot.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That's good to hear. Maybe it's just something that happens as they age.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Good grief aren't they tiny.

I've got five. three are rushing round the viv investigating everything. two are lurking in the foliage being very quiet with their eyes shut. Fine healthy looking beasts.

Slight prob. ordered the wrong size of locusts. fortunately have some mealies to hand. Locust drumstick anyone??

Thanks to the folks at CTO.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Good grief aren't they tiny.

I've got five. three are rushing round the viv investigating everything. two are lurking in the foliage being very quiet with their eyes shut. Fine healthy looking beasts.

Slight prob. ordered the wrong size of locusts. fortunately have some mealies to hand. Locust drumstick anyone??

Thanks to the folks at CTO.
Yeah, Binky stays out of the way and keeps himself to himself mostly. You got any pics for us :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Patience (not Just a card game) ;).

I'll let them settle in for a bit.

and I've got to remember where i buried my camera

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

if you put all the bits together you don't end up with five....

A slightly weird pic of the viv 60*45*60 Exo

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Cool, looking good, feel free to share any funky little discoveries about them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Lights on this morning.

Sprayed the plants. Everyone got up for a shower.

Really got to sort out the water fall I changed the water yesterday and the pleasing trickle has gone. It's living up to it's name, it's a zoomed Niagara rapids.

Still not sure the heat mats is doing it's job. Stat is set to 24c thermometers are reading 22 but that's also room temp.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Interesting development with mine, Mo has started doing something strange, she'll go a very dark shade and start bobbing her head like beardies do, and sometimes will shake it from side to side. This never happens when she's in her normal green colour, this dark colour is commonly seen in Binky, but he never head bobs.

Any reason for this?

41 - 60 of 93 Posts