Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got him yesterday from a friend of a friend, Who doesn't have enough time for him, so he was looking for a good home, as i have a other snake and extremely interested in herpatology i took him/her on. No idea how old he/she is, but Jumanji is adult, hes 4ft in length, which is average for royals (Right?)

His Vivarium is 4ftx18"x2ft, Some have said this is to small, but i got him in a 3ft long tank, so it must be better correct. I heard 4ft is a suitable size, Put it this way, he can stretch out if he wants. Have not fed yet, That will be saturday, same as Mirage (My Milk), Will be nice to see him a bit more exubarent. Anyhow, Here he is, And his Vivarium.

---- Viv ----

---- All Three ----

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Lovely royal you've got their, like the name too!
4ft is certainly not too small for a royal, most keep them in 3ft vivws their whole lives as they are quite shy snakes which like to hide in confined spaces.
I'm sure Jumanji is more than happy in his nice spacious viv :D

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Congrats - very pretty royal!

As Pendlehog said, royals do like to be well hidden. Your viv might be a little bare on the left hand side as they're not too fond of moving across open ground. If you find he (possibly a she at 4ft?!) is always staying at the more secluded end it either means everything at that end's perfect for him, or that he's too scared to come out!

And don't expect too much in the way of exuberance from a royal... lazy little swines most of the time!!

Hope everything goes well with your newbie :2thumb:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Lovely and Id agree with Amanda on everything.. I think he may be a she at that length.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everybody. I think i gathered the lazy sod parts now ;) I have set up a other hide at the opposite hide, a other shoe box, but at the cold side, so one at the cold and one at the hot. And i have covered them up too, Ill post a picture (Once i tidy my room :p)

Plus, Any ideas of herps to put in a 3ft Glass tank? It's just sitting there.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Glass tanks can get over heated and can have poor ventilation, so beware!

On the royal's viv, the like to climb so mabe you could add some branches (from a fruit tree) for him to climb on?

Other than that, great snake!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
sigh, would like a royal but they r a big commiment (like most snakes) coz they lve for like millenias (rofl)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not sure where to find a suitable branch, because shes quiete heavy. Any paticular places (pets at home) Will i have to nail it into the viv? Or anything. If you have logs n stuff, post pictures :)

So Yeah, Any ideas with the 3ft Tank. I would use a mesh top. Oh, And for the skull, I got it from Edinburgh Dungeons, lmao.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Someone has apic of a cranch they have put in for their royal... they used a drill to make matching holes throught the branch and roof of the viv, then fastened it with a nut and long bolt. We did the same thing for out baby royal by (very securely!) taping thick nylon twine to the ends of a short piece of bamboo and attahcing that to the top of his tank (we used industria strength tape, but you could make a hole in the tip, thread the twine through and knot it)

Sorry for typos, am drining Archers :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Meltos said:
Im not sure where to find a suitable branch, because shes quiete heavy. Any paticular places (pets at home) Will i have to nail it into the viv? Or anything. If you have logs n stuff, post pictures
Most rep shops have suitable vines in varying thicknesses, and places like Pets at home sometimes have suitable branches in the birdy section. In my vivs I didn't want bolts sticking through the top so I've put screws (with washers on to stop the wires slipping off) into the viv top, drilled a hole through the vine, and wired the vine securely to the ceiling. Pics?? Oh, go on then, you talked me into it :lol:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice Ideas. Yes, I have seen them before, Why Didnt I think of that, Beautiful Snakes and Vivariums.

Like I said, I updated Jumanji's (Dont you just love that name :|) Viv, It looks a lot more naturel now, With no 'lacoste" logo's :) All hidden, 2 shoe box's, One at both end. I like it :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Would It Be Possible if you could PM me your vivs for them (And even your corn while your at it :p) I want some ideas. Thant goes for anybody else, send me pictures of your vivariums ^^

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Im just waiting on my new viv to arrive before I send piccies, then I will make sure I take piccies of all their set-ups xx

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
im not sure, this has only been mentioned once. will it be possible to keep a royal in a 3' viv?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
King Of Dreams> Yes 3 ft is normally more than adequate as royals dont normally like big spaces and prefer smaller asecluded areas

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
oh dang now im in a connumdrum. leo gecko or royal python? so hard.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts