Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate is here with me, he has a problem!!!

He has a 1 and half year old Morelia Spilota Cheynei (jungle carpet python) that has eaten once since july.

Before July it was an excellent feeder, until moved into a larger viv.

Now not eating, strikes open mouthed but more defensively then to catch prey,

Heat and humidity are spot on, tried braining, leaving mouse over night etc with no luck.

He's 4 ft and still of decent girth, the viv is 4x4x2.5 arboreal glass with 3 sides covered.

Any ideas, please let me know.

G

·
i have a female stopped eating around august last year she is still
100% and drinks loads but will not eat (gutted as shes up to breeding size ).be patient bud they can go longer
if you get worried try a day old chick that worked for me .. best advice i can give is to not keep trying leave him a week or two then he will settle down and return to eating properly ,remember that snakes do only eat in the wild when they need to ,they dont have to eat for months on end
best of luck

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
force feed,try LIVE mice/rat,but dontleave them in over night!have you changed him from mice to rats?

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
hissy my royal is very fussy sometimes he would eat and other times he would strike and leave it and i was beginning to worry. i would brain the rat and do everything that your friend has done and still nothing. my friend owns a rep shop and told me to try him with a gerbil. it was the first time in a long long time that hissy really struck at anything and acted like a snake instead of a scolded child being told to eat their vegetables if it worked on a fussy royal then maybe it ill work on your friends snake. Hope it helps

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snakelover?! Isn't live feeding illegal in Britain? My mate doesn't want a rat to take a chunk out of his jungle.

Have you ever force-fed? If you have then you'll realise that this is extremely stressful for snakey and can end up with a dead jungle.

We'll try the chick method thank you.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Snakelover?! Isn't live feeding illegal in Britain? My mate doesn't want a rat to take a chunk out of his jungle.

Have you ever force-fed? If you have then you'll realise that this is extremely stressful for snakey and can end up with a dead jungle.

We'll try the chick method thank you.
she is only trying to help. these methodscan be stressful butcan also save the life of a snake.

live feeding is leagal but if you do it publicly, or if it is seen to be for entertainment it is animal crulty,and thus against the law. it is fine if you do it in privacy.

if the snake is in good shape, then i wouldnt worry, try with the chicks, or the gerbil, and if he stillrefuses i would try live. put the rat in, and watch. if the snake bites, make sure that he get the head/ in a position where the snake cant bite. if he doesnt, use tongs/stick/snake hook to stop the ratfrom biting the snake.

i would never force feed a snake. i would tube or use above method.

tryputting a pinky in the blender and rubbing the prey item in the juice, this gives it a strong scent.

(if you dont want to ues the blender then 3or sandwhich bags, and a hammer work well.)

hope this helps
Dan

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hi there, i would agree with carpet man on this one, all these other people telling you to live feed are nuts!!!

My female jungle has only just started eating after five months and all i did was leave her, i tried her the odd week on a mouse/rat but she was having none of it, ithen gave her a day old chick and she took fine.

My suggestion to you is day old chicks are ok for a one off but as they lack any protien compared to mice,rats etc tey should be used as a last resort when it comes to feeding snakes.

What you could do is give it a chick and then the next feed get a chick and a mouse cut the chick and smear its contents on the mouse and the sent from the chick will hopefully stimulate the jungle in to feeding and thus taking a mouse.

please remeber to cut of the chicks beak and feet as they are sharp and in case of reguratation you don't want to cut the inside's of your snake.

hope this is of use to you and good luck.

lee

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
my Brb is a pain in the neck when it comes to feeding, but as carpet man said, the best thing to do is leave it alone, dont handle it and wait until the next sceduled feed and try again. really warm the mouse/rat up and slit the back of its neck to create more sent. if he wont take it straight away, leave it in the viv and leave the room for a few hours, this seems to be the only way that works for my Brb......... Stay away from Live!!! if its just off food you might end up with a scarred JCP!!! you could also try senting a mouse like a chick by leaving the two in a tub togeather over night or using one of those sprays you can buy... might work? good luck anyway.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If it does take the chick then you could try following it up with a fluff or something straight after when his get his head in the air gulping the chick down then just start him off with it and he should eat it fine. This will get his taste back and some good food into him.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I know this was posted a while ago but............

If it comes to it surely you can move the snake back into its old viv.

I feel I have missed something here or surely somebody else would of suggested this.

The viv is quite big and prehaps teh big jump has stressed him out.

Or try partitioning the viv off to make it smaller for a while and slowly move the partition until its against the side of the viv.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's all sorted now thanks, he's taking weener rats.

His old viv was 1'x1'x1' so that wasn't really an option.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Okay no problems.

Can I just ask did you keep him in the foot cube viv up to his current 4 feet????

I just want to get an idea when to upgrade teh viv for mine.

He is currently approx 26 inches long and his viv is 15 x 12 x 12.
Plenty of room yet but when do you think I should get him a new home?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
my dxj is around 20" long and im about to move her into a 2ft viv, mainly because its so hard to get the temps right in her tub. if there is plenty of hides, branches ect then it shouldnt be a problem. if yours is 26" id get it in a 2ftx1ft viv at least.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts