Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

We're selling our two jungle carpet pythons because we just don't have time for them. When we do handle them they are chilled and inquisitive. They are for sale along with all their stuff (vivs, thermastats etc.). Would ideally like to sell the whole lot together.

They are just over a year old, 1 male, 1 female. Good tempered. Nice gold and brown colour. The male has a nice partial stripe pattern and the female is more 'spotty'. The female was one of twins and so is a little smaller than the male. They are (we think) brother and sister. They are both currently around 4 ft long. Male is ~5cm diameter, female ~4cm. Both eating very enthusiastically on mice, currently taking 2 large mice once a week. They both are shedding well.

Vivs are 2' x 2'6" x 1'6". Thermastats are Living Earth Electronic Habistats, which also have hygrometers. Other bits and pieces can be put in as part of the lot (if buying both snakes) including bark hides, 14" metal feeding tongs and some frozen mice.

Ideal 'starter' kit for someone wanting to get into snakes. These Carpets have calmed down to be quite tranquil and curious pets. They've both got their own personality - the female is more interested and smarter and the male can be sometimes shy.

Available for pick up from Bristol. £250 each including viv. £460 ono for both.

female chilling out

male

vivs

female

female

male

·
Registered
802 Posts
If i had the pennies i'd love to be the females new mummy but *sigh*

all i can offer is a bump up hunni : victory:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Flutterbye. They're really great snakes but we just don't have the time for them at the moment. The male especially has some nice markings.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
i think you might have more luck if you lower th price slightly... those are quite high imo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jonnyboy,

I can see why you say that, because if you look at some other posts, people are asking £150 for a jungle carpet. If anyone is interested in either of the snakes solo then pm me - would probably sell them for around £120 each.

This is what's up for sale:
The jungle carpet pythons were £200 each when we bought them as nippy youngsters.
The habistats were £50 each new. They're a current model (on sale new here: Dimming Thermostat Buy cheap Reptile Equipment)
The vivs were £100 each new. They're oak effect, about 6 months old (they were in smaller vivs before that).
The ceramic bulbs were £15 each and we've got 2 spares too.
Ceramic light guards - around £10 originally.
Two digital thermometers per viv, one with a hygrometer, £8 each.
Other acessories: bark hides, feeding tongs (14 inch were really difficult to get but invaluable for not getting your fingers mistaken for mice...), a load of mice and a few rats, hand crafted wooden viv furniture ;)

If you add all that up, it was over £800. Obviously it's all second hand now - hence £460 for the lot or £250 for one snake plus it's set up.

I hope that seems more reasonable now you can see where it's all come from.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
yeah i can now.. my apoligies... its just people in classifieds sell them for less than 100, most people on this forum have spare vivs so would be looking for just a snake maybe.... im sure theres some people needing a full setup tho! good luck!

·
Banned
108 Posts
Sell the snakes and vivs separately as those vivs are only any good for juvenile snakes at best.

Nice light guards though - where did they come from?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries jonnyboy. Thank you, I'm sure someone will like the look of them. We're in no huge hurry, just think they deserve a bit more attention than we can give. I will take snakes11573's advice and say that I'll consider offers for the snakes and vivs separately, but obviously only in that order!

snakes11573, I'm not sure where the guards came from, my partner bought them. Similar ones are sold here: Our Guards: Ceramic Heater Guards, Spotlight Guards, Vivarium Heating and Lighting Guards, Reptile Heating and Lighting Guards, Vivarium Supplies, Reptile Accessories, Herpetology: Custom Guards-Creating a Safer Environment though I'm sure you've already seen that. I think they're the 'spotlight guard' or something very similar.

They work well now, though we were a bit concerned at first, because the hole for the cable was just about big enough for them to get through when they were smaller. Fine now though. They like to wrap themselves around the guard sometimes, but it hasn't done them any harm (carpets are smarter than balls I think and thus don't burn themselves...)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some info about JCPs taken from a care sheet here: Jungle Carpet Pythons Care Sheet, Something for Everyone Reptiles

"This is one of the most beautiful snakes in the world and is very low maintinance if you maintain if the proper humidity and temperature levels."
(But are a great conversation point as they tend to hang out in their 'trees' on view rather than hiding away. Great for someone who's looking for an interesting 'display snake', but who still wants to take out and interact with their pet.)

"Jungle Carpet Pythons readily eat pre-killed rodents. "
(Oh yes, I'll testify to that. No stroppy Ball Python fasting here...)

"Jungle Carpet Pythons are in general a docile species. Juveniles are nippy but settle down with frequent handling." (Ours have been and gone through that stage. We had plenty of time when they were little to handle them and so they are pretty chilled now.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts