Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago i got my first chameleon a lovely little carpet cham. who eats like like a deamon!

Any how while decorating the cage i got hold of some jungle vines. i had them placed around the cage so the cham could climb form branch to brach. I left the room for about 30 mins and came back to find a burning smell coming from the cage. i realised it was the vines which were about 8 inchs away from the ceramic bulb heater with an estimated hot spot on the vines of about 90-100 degrees F. i would of thought that exo-tera would of at least designed the vines to be heat proof and not produce nasty fumes!!! and evan if they had been there was no marginal safey factor. what would of happened if i didnt come back into the room? a burnt down house! so please be very wary if you have any of these as i nearly made a very bad mistake!

p.s. although the cham was in the cage it appears none the worse and is still looking very healthy

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have them in my tank but i dont keep them in the hot spot. i would never of thought that they would burn, dont think ill be moving mine to the hot end,

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
is your ceramic on a thermostat??

i have those vines in loads of tanks, near heat, nor near heat.. never had a problem with them at all

N

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Mine are in a hot spot of 100f sometimes and I've never had that problem!

What you might find is that with all the watering and soaking they have they become quite moist... This can lead to cham's getting blisters on there feet! Just something to be aware of!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts