Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a lovely purple translucent BD for sale.
They blatently dont have a clue about BD's, they are advertising it as a hypo when it clearly isn't, and the thermometer in the 18" cubed viv read 60degrees!!!!!!! literally dozens of crix crawling all over the poor thing and the basking lamp was about 2" above the basking spot.
When I politely mentioned that it wasnt hypo and that the temp was way too low, I was told that I didnt know what I was talking about and that the in house expert was qualified.
I think he is somewhere between 6-9 months old judging by size.
I really want to save it but what problems could I face long term if I do decide to take it?

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
temp was way too low or way too high?
was the shop cold as 60f is 15.5c and that'd be pretty cold in the shop.

If the basking lamp was only 2inches away from the basking spot then it's either 60c or they're using a potato instead of a bulb... There's no way you'd only get 60f at 2inches from the basking light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally im the kind that sees a badly looked after lizard and has to save it,
The BD may have problems later in life, or a shorter life span thru stress, but the way i look at it is, the longer its in the pet store the worse it will get,
but i am also the kinda person who makes his decisions in a split second.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope temp in degrees f!! They are using ceramic bulbs to "heat" the vivs, 60w I think, the probe was bang in the middle of the viv, and the temp was def reading just a shade over 60f.....
"potato instead of a bulb" rofl!!
I was so tempted to save him, he's only been in there for a week or 2 at most....

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
problem is, if you buy him to rescue him then the store will only use the funds, minus their profit, to buy another. its a vicious circle. The only other thing you can do is inform the pet licensing dept of the council or rspca (though the rspca have little power) and hope that the person who goes to investigate actually knows something about reptiles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about that but they only have him in as the previous owner didnt want him anymore and offloaded him at the shop....... hmmmmm not sounding such a great idea now

·
Registered
43 Posts
problem is, if you buy him to rescue him then the store will only use the funds, minus their profit, to buy another. its a vicious circle. The only other thing you can do is inform the pet licensing dept of the council or rspca (though the rspca have little power) and hope that the person who goes to investigate actually knows something about reptiles.
And knowing our country, they wont even speak english, and still get payed more than i do.

·
Registered
302 Posts
a lovely purple translucent BD for sale.
They blatently dont have a clue about BD's, they are advertising it as a hypo when it clearly isn't, and the thermometer in the 18" cubed viv read 60degrees!!!!!!! literally dozens of crix crawling all over the poor thing and the basking lamp was about 2" above the basking spot.
When I politely mentioned that it wasnt hypo and that the temp was way too low, I was told that I didnt know what I was talking about and that the in house expert was qualified.
I think he is somewhere between 6-9 months old judging by size.
I really want to save it but what problems could I face long term if I do decide to take it?
O.K mate, I think you are the victim of bad customer service, Although you have got a point please dont say they dont have a clue, I consider myself a very good reptile owner, and take exellent care of my reps and always expanding my knowledge and skill, But i still coudnt tell you the difference between each of thier morphs, I have 6 leopard geckos and 2 beardies, i know they are all different but couldnt tell you how. But let me ask you this, How long had they had the beardies? Could it be that they have recently arrived and this in-house expert has not dealt with this delivery and a rooky has put the wrong sighn on the tank? Had the beardies been swapped from another tank and the sign hasnt yet? Did any of these quite reasonable questions ever cross your mind? Where was the thermometer placed in the tank you didnt say! i have 3 in my tank, One is stuck to the glass at the top of the tank in the cool end which reads 62f, one is at the hot end one at the cool, at my temps are pretty good at the moment,
Also when it comes to crix sometimes my beardies eat 3 or 4 then just chill out, if they get annoyed they WILL react, Some times they just dont care, In only a way that a beardie can,
Please have a bit more patience before saying these things,
RSPCA are completely powerless, To be issued a zoo license you need somebody who can look after the animal, I know i run a garden centre in scotland.
Dont mean to be harsh or a prick mate but think of the repocussions your words, just or unjust, may have on other retailers.

·
Registered
728 Posts
O.K mate, I think you are the victim of bad customer service, Although you have got a point please dont say they dont have a clue, I consider myself a very good reptile owner, and take exellent care of my reps and always expanding my knowledge and skill, But i still coudnt tell you the difference between each of thier morphs, I have 6 leopard geckos and 2 beardies, i know they are all different but couldnt tell you how. But let me ask you this, How long had they had the beardies? Could it be that they have recently arrived and this in-house expert has not dealt with this delivery and a rooky has put the wrong sighn on the tank? Had the beardies been swapped from another tank and the sign hasnt yet? Did any of these quite reasonable questions ever cross your mind? Where was the thermometer placed in the tank you didnt say! i have 3 in my tank, One is stuck to the glass at the top of the tank in the cool end which reads 62f, one is at the hot end one at the cool, at my temps are pretty good at the moment,
Also when it comes to crix sometimes my beardies eat 3 or 4 then just chill out, if they get annoyed they WILL react, Some times they just dont care, In only a way that a beardie can,
Please have a bit more patience before saying these things,
RSPCA are completely powerless, To be issued a zoo license you need somebody who can look after the animal, I know i run a garden centre in scotland.
Dont mean to be harsh or a prick mate but think of the repocussions your words, just or unjust, may have on other retailers.
You do have a pretty valid point, however the OP stated that it had been there 1-2 weeks so everythin shold have really been sorted now.

Is 62f the cool end in urs during the day or nite, if its the day it should really be around 80f, the cooler it is the more lazy the beardie gets, which i suspect could be a reason why the beardie at the shop hadn't eaten the crix, also beardies cannot digest food properly at temps lower than around 80f.

Are you serious??? Get a grip!!
This was very harsh comment, he was mearly stating what could be another side to the story.

Personally i dnt bother goin to places like aquatics n garden centres anymore that also have reptiles cos unfortuntely in my experience this is a pretty common thing and it really upsets me n gets my back up about these places. Unfortunately i do not have the money or the space tho to rescue all these reps.

·
Registered
728 Posts
U could inform the pet liscencing department of the local council for that area like has been posted before about ur concerns, but to be honest with u unless the person that issues the liscence is as passionate about reps n animals as we are it will more than likely get u know where. Yes to be issued a liscence you need someone that knows about reps working a the place however these liscences are also given counting the fact that it is only classed as temporary housing for the animal / rep as they are up for sale. We all know more often than not they end up being there a fair while as they are not always snapped up straight away but that unfortunately that is a loophole within the pet liscencing system.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My tank had a thermometer in the top corner of it when i got it, never bothered to take it down, Hot spot in my tank sits at 114f and cool end is 82f, Just trying to illustrate that my temps are good but depending on where the thermometer is placed it might give the wrong impression. And suppakimmy13 is right if you are worried contact the local council, they are the only ones who can deal with it effectively, And yea i was dead serious.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Where is this garden centre I might ask a friend of mine who is also a passionate reptile owner and a RSPCA inspector to have a look?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
some shops just think they can take in reptiles because they think there just like other pets, for one there not fluffy and hairy there alot more cuter :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry if my last post came across as a little harsh, but goochs post was just a little OTT and it was quite late when I read it.

When I said I had thought about that, I was refering to the first part of what swift wraith said. About them just using the money to buy another.

I dont see the point in contacting RSPCA or local council. They can/will do very little.

I dont normally go into these places either, but have been in twice recently on emergency livefood missions. It is quite upsetting seeing the state of some lovely reps.

Anyway..... RSPCA/council/differences of opinion etc aside, all I actually want to know is if I should be wary of buying this dragon?

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
all I actually want to know is if I should be wary of buying this dragon?
If you have nowhere to quarantine it then yes I would be wary. You may pass something on to your other animals. If you can quarantine it and are prepared for the fact that it may have health issues that need vet treatment then go for it. More often than not they just need the correct care. I know that some people discourage taking on reptiles from shops as they will only go and fill the space with another but I am like you and would take it home regardless.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you have a serious concern mate, Which it sounds like you have, Contact the local council, They issued the zoo license and are the only ones with the power to remove it until this shop pick up thier husbandry, I know i have one, I dont sell reptiles but the zoo license still covers it, Dont lose hope if you are worried, Go and pick up this beardie, Get it checked by a vet and get a fecal done and if there are any probs let the council know and i gaurentee thier license will be revoked immediately, If indeed there is a problem with thier husbandry whos to say that an experienced reptile keepers going to pick up the next beardy/leo they get in next, I wasnt having a go earlier mate but bad word spreads fast and without proof i wouldn say anything until i knew for sure, If you want information on zoo license criteria to investigate PM me and ill be happy to help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i understand what you all mean about garden centres but some are totally useless and dont have a clue and other are .. well good :gasp:
I have 3 beardies and i get them from homes, people who breed as they clearly know how to look after them :D
i must say tho the gc near me is called elm court (ark pet and aquatics), they are really good as they sell lots of different beardies all looking healthy, happy etc always clean, also sell snakes comodo things spiked lizards etc brilliant shop but ask way to much for them :(
another reason why i buy them from homes :)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
i understand what you all mean about garden centres but some are totally useless and dont have a clue and other are .. well good :gasp:
I have 3 beardies and i get them from homes, people who breed as they clearly know how to look after them :D
i must say tho the gc near me is called elm court (ark pet and aquatics), they are really good as they sell lots of different beardies all looking healthy, happy etc always clean, also sell snakes comodo things spiked lizards etc brilliant shop but ask way to much for them :(
another reason why i buy them from homes :)
unfortunately its the way this world works, the good shops always get tarred with the same brush as the bad ones.

Although the RSPCA have no legal powers when it comes to licensing etc, you could contact your local branch and ask if they have anyone who is experienced with reptiles and ask them to take a look then pass on their findings to the council licensing dept. Am sure the council will take more note if the report comes from these "experts" (and i use the word loosely :whistling2:)
Best of luck anyhows.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Hi

In England its a pet shop licence that allows shops to retail animals fish and reptiles.
The council inspector does have the power to recind the licence but unfortunately a large number of inspectors do not have much knowledge when it comes to reptiles.

I would love to know how qualified this shop owner is if he thinks the set up you described is adequate.

My juvenile beardies are in 2x2x18" high vivs and all my adults are in 4ft or above. Its the only way.

Send someone to the shop with some power to tell the owner the error of his ways.
P

1 - 20 of 20 Posts