Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i was visiting family in watford and my auntie took us to amy's exotics (featured on Essex Jungle)

anyhow while i was there i bought a juv water dragon and some cork/bark for his enclosure. anyway i didnt put the cork in straight away as thought it would clutter it up as it was quite big, but as it turned outthis morning i went to try and fit it in and it wedged perfectly like a level in the tank. all day today the flat has smelt like an old womans house and i could not work out what the smell was. 20 mins ago the water dragon keeled over all of a sudden and as i rushed to him i found out what the smell was. the cork. it smells like someone has emptied a bottle of chanelle no.5 all over it. i didnt smell it at first but as its heated up its started to permiate. i dont know what to do the water dragon has been fine and healthy up until now. im absolutley shocked and upset as the water dragon seems to be paralyzed down his left side, he is breathing but foamed at the mouth when i picked him up. what should i do??? ive already removed the cork and chucked it in the bin but im noe scared that hes going to cork it (no pun intended as it aint a laughing matter)

certainly going to rip the hell out of amy's exotics in the morning

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
thats terrible news and im real sorry to hear that and poor little dragon.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Getting him to the vets would be your best option. He's obviously inhaled toxins that have come from the cork and it is really bad for them.

Clean out the viv and wash everything down and leave him in there until you can get to a vets with him.

Hope he's ok and you get this sorted. Poor little guy. Hope he's ok. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting him to the vets would be your best option. He's obviously inhaled toxins that have come from the cork and it is really bad for them.

Clean out the viv and wash everything down and leave him in there until you can get to a vets with him.

Hope he's ok and you get this sorted. Poor little guy. Hope he's ok. :)
we cleaned out his viv took the wood out
and this mornning he is running around
eating and drinking :)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Sounds like he's perked up a bit then. Just keep an rye on him then to make sure that nothing has been inhaled and hurting him. Glad he's doing better. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like he's perked up a bit then. Just keep an rye on him then to make sure that nothing has been inhaled and hurting him. Glad he's doing better. :)

we are keeping a close eye on him he is alot more alert now :)
if he goes down hill then will get him to the vets straight away
and thank you :)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
No problem, I love water dragons. I would love to have one but we are going to be concentrating on snakes for now hence why my bearded dragons are up for sale. Maybe in the future we might get a water dragon.

Keep us up to date with his progress and again I hope he does well. Atleast you know now not to put that bit of cork in again. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
we are keeping a close eye on him he is alot more alert now :)
if he goes down hill then will get him to the vets straight away
and thank you :)
personally i would still go to the vets just to have a check up i think it would be worth the money even though he seems to have perked up now

if you take him vets you wont have to worry about him if the vets tell you everything is ok

hopefully this wont happen but if the vets say there may be something wrong atleast there is a good chance you have caught it in time and there may be something that can be done to help

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,607 Posts
Glad to hear he is looking better. I would let Amys know there was a problem. They are good retailers and would want to know this so they can check the rest of the batch of cork.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
personally i would still go to the vets just to have a check up i think it would be worth the money even though he seems to have perked up now

if you take him vets you wont have to worry about him if the vets tell you everything is ok

hopefully this wont happen but if the vets say there may be something wrong atleast there is a good chance you have caught it in time and there may be something that can be done to help
hey we are going to take him to the vets today when my partner gets bk from work because last night he had what looked like a fit wasnt nice seeing it
hopefully he will be ok though
cheers everyone :)

·
Registered
33,094 Posts
I wonder what the hell must have been sprayed or poured on that cork for it to pong like that & emit toxic fumes that made the dragon so ill?:hmm:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Its a bizarre story, glad the dragon seemed to perk up after some fresh air. I guess we will never know what came of it as it was a long time ago now :(

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Mabey the shop had one of those self releaseing aur freshners high up above it. We had one on the window sill and there was a sort of dew where it had been spraying. Or mabey something while it was been transported/shipped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts