Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just one question, i found this on a care sheet for beardies is it correct???

Hide Boxes -
This is a no-no for small dragons. The dragon may decide to hide instead of bask and therefore will not eat well and grow properly. This is also the favorite place for a crickets to hide. Its cool and dark which makes for a perfect gathering place... so, unless you like to chase crickets around before the lights go out, hide boxes are something to avoid.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
No, it isn't true they always need some places to hide where they feel secure otherwise they will get stressed out. They won't eat and grow properly if they are stressed!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I'm not really sure, I had a hide in my BD's viv when she was smaller but she never ever used it, shes always slept on her log or on the floor, I have since taken it out and she still eats like a greedy pig and hasnt stopped growing yet.
I guess it depends on the individual dragon and whether they feel secure in their viv.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Silvershark said:
No, it isn't true they always need some places to hide where they feel secure otherwise they will get stressed out. They won't eat and grow properly if they are stressed!
exactly what i thought...

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I dont have any hides in the form of those caves you can buy but I do find my beardies sleeping beheath the barkwood at night of just taking a afternoon nap under them. They so also sleep just as happy ontop of their logs if they feel like to too.

·
Registered
846 Posts
ive always had hides in mine as said before if they hace no where to run and hide to feel safe they can get very stressed very quickly, mine used to sleep of a night in there though sleep on top of it during the day, saying that one of mine used to sleep upright on the wall... will dig out the pics

·
Registered
41 Posts
We give ours a large java wood branch which they climb and bask on, and use to hide behind at night. We prefer not to provide a 'hide' in the sense of a cave or box as we find this makes the babies less sociable and they take longer to tame. It only takes them a couple of days from hatching to realise that we are no threat and at a week old they dont even flinch when we open the viv to spray/feed etc.

Hannah

·
Registered
846 Posts
heres mork sleeping in one of his fav positions

its on the rock wall affect i made to go in their viv

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
quality sleeping position....we all would if we could i guess lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts