Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just been to the reptile/pet shop i use in my home town and seen a mangrove snake very first time i have seen them since the came off the dwa list beautiful snake

·
Registered
508 Posts
yeah i saw a couple in my local reptile shop, nice looking snakes. these ones were a bit 'bitey' though lol. they kept striking the glass when i walked past.

cheers
kieran

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they are a back fanged snake i think they got took off the dwa list because they have a poor delivery system for delivering the vemon plus i think they are not as dangerous as some of the venomous snakes on the market . but some one who keeps these might know more as im only guessing

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
they are rear fanged and do have venom.
However, you'll get a far worse bite from a nigriceps.

I'd guess the worst of the Boiga to be bitten by is the blandingii. The ones we had actually used to drip when they opened there mouths!

EDIT: That is of course if you class boiga as the blandings genus.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
they are a back fanged snake i think they got took off the dwa list because they have a poor delivery system for delivering the vemon plus i think they are not as dangerous as some of the venomous snakes on the market . but some one who keeps these might know more as im only guessing

Boomslangs have the same mehtod of delivery however you would most definitely NOT wat to take one from one of those guys..
Ben

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Boomslangs have the same mehtod of delivery however you would most definitely NOT wat to take one from one of those guys..
Ben
This a joke?

A car and a bus work the same way but they are 2 completely different machines.

The boomslang has FAR FAR FAR FAR bigger teeth than a mangrove.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You can find more information regarding their venom on Dr Fry's website venomdoc. I dont think there are any recorded deaths from boiga envenomations other than with irregularis on the island of Guam - I think these mainly occured with children/babies who were asleep at the time of being bitten, hence the snake had time to chew the venom in. Ive not found any records of deaths from any other boigas.
But some people do have reactions.
I have had a minor reaction to a nigriceps bite, it stung quite badly ( like a burning feeling) for several hours and the area became swollen and slightly discoloured. This was from a hatchling which was removed quickly. I do know of people who have had similar reactions from Mangrove bites - one where it affected the persons whole arm - then resolved.
I tend to use a hook with my adult blandingi rather than risk getting bitten, theyre pretty feisty.
I would strongly advise reading up on this species before considering buying one. Between myself and two other people I know who have experience with boigas we have been inundated with emails, pms and phone calls from people needing help with their mangroves - most not having read up enough about them and most not eating.
see Untitled Document for more info

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'd guess the worst of the Boiga to be bitten by is the blandingii.

EDIT: That is of course if you class boiga as the blandings genus.
Gernot Vogel still classes them as Boiga, so Im going from his knowledge, he knows this species better than anyone.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ben
To add to Dan's post.

Not only do the boomslangs have much much bigger teeth.

They are also very deeply grooved, are capable of being swung forward (similar to a vipers fangs), with a very wide gape this means that any bite is enough to envenomate.

Also more worryingly for anyone bit, the boomslangs actually have venom storage glands (like the elapids and vipers), normal 'rear fanged' snakes have glands but they produce the venom to order like saliva glands do in humans. The storage gland means that there is a significant amount of venom there ready to be injected. They also have basic muscles for compressing this gland, hence a quick tap will actually inject venom deep into the wound, normal rear fanged have the venom normally trickling down the teeth and onto the surface of the skin as well as in the wound.

A typical bite from a boomslang may well show virtually no symptoms for up to 24 hours, then you start to bleed from every orifice and also from old scars. Then you will die a pretty painful death. All in all nothing like a mangrove.

I've had a couple of quick bites from mangroves and although I made sure it came off the hand really quickly I was never worried, the sand snakes, nigriceps, irregularis, telescopus and others would worry me much more.
In fact I've seen more reactions to a bite from my hatchling eygptian racer than I have from big adult mangrove bites.

Mike

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the pet shop in grantham is next to the kings arms pub or a couple of doors away it use to be on welby street just out side morrisons but they moved near the kings arms if ya know the shop go in and then go up stairs towards the back of the shop

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ok, sorry! I thought all back-fanged did the same thing-all the ones I know are colubrids so just assumed it worked the same...Sorry!
Ben

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ok, sorry! I thought all back-fanged did the same thing-all the ones I know are colubrids so just assumed it worked the same...Sorry!
Ben
Thats perfectly ok, there are new facts coming out all the time on 'rear fanged' snakes.
There are a few more snakes that are very dangerous that are on the DWA, with some that are capable of serious envenomations that aren't currently on there.

The fang structures on the rear fanged are very varied with a few that have movable fangs. Also the venom delivery on some are varied with some coming out in fang sheaths, some just in the mouth and some in both. With some of the venoms being more potent than elapids (drop for drop) then there is lots more to learn about these snakes.

Mike

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thats perfectly ok, there are new facts coming out all the time on 'rear fanged' snakes.
There are a few more snakes that are very dangerous that are on the DWA, with some that are capable of serious envenomations that aren't currently on there.

The fang structures on the rear fanged are very varied with a few that have movable fangs. Also the venom delivery on some are varied with some coming out in fang sheaths, some just in the mouth and some in both. With some of the venoms being more potent than elapids (drop for drop) then there is lots more to learn about these snakes.

Mike
Wow! 'Mental note-avoid wild colubrids...':lol2:
Thanks for the info!
Ben

1 - 20 of 27 Posts