Reptile Forums banner

just seen mangrove snake

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Angi 
#1 ·
just been to the reptile/pet shop i use in my home town and seen a mangrove snake very first time i have seen them since the came off the dwa list beautiful snake

#6 ·
they are a back fanged snake i think they got took off the dwa list because they have a poor delivery system for delivering the vemon plus i think they are not as dangerous as some of the venomous snakes on the market . but some one who keeps these might know more as im only guessing

#10 ·
they are a back fanged snake i think they got took off the dwa list because they have a poor delivery system for delivering the vemon plus i think they are not as dangerous as some of the venomous snakes on the market . but some one who keeps these might know more as im only guessing

Boomslangs have the same mehtod of delivery however you would most definitely NOT wat to take one from one of those guys..
Ben

#7 ·
they are rear fanged and do have venom.
However, you'll get a far worse bite from a nigriceps.

I'd guess the worst of the Boiga to be bitten by is the blandingii. The ones we had actually used to drip when they opened there mouths!

EDIT: That is of course if you class boiga as the blandings genus.

#15 ·
I'd guess the worst of the Boiga to be bitten by is the blandingii.

EDIT: That is of course if you class boiga as the blandings genus.
Gernot Vogel still classes them as Boiga, so Im going from his knowledge, he knows this species better than anyone.

#14 ·
You can find more information regarding their venom on Dr Fry's website venomdoc. I dont think there are any recorded deaths from boiga envenomations other than with irregularis on the island of Guam - I think these mainly occured with children/babies who were asleep at the time of being bitten, hence the snake had time to chew the venom in. Ive not found any records of deaths from any other boigas.
But some people do have reactions.
I have had a minor reaction to a nigriceps bite, it stung quite badly ( like a burning feeling) for several hours and the area became swollen and slightly discoloured. This was from a hatchling which was removed quickly. I do know of people who have had similar reactions from Mangrove bites - one where it affected the persons whole arm - then resolved.
I tend to use a hook with my adult blandingi rather than risk getting bitten, theyre pretty feisty.
I would strongly advise reading up on this species before considering buying one. Between myself and two other people I know who have experience with boigas we have been inundated with emails, pms and phone calls from people needing help with their mangroves - most not having read up enough about them and most not eating.
see Untitled Document for more info

#17 ·
the pet shop in grantham is next to the kings arms pub or a couple of doors away it use to be on welby street just out side morrisons but they moved near the kings arms if ya know the shop go in and then go up stairs towards the back of the shop

#18 ·
Ok, sorry! I thought all back-fanged did the same thing-all the ones I know are colubrids so just assumed it worked the same...Sorry!
Ben

#19 ·
Thats perfectly ok, there are new facts coming out all the time on 'rear fanged' snakes.
There are a few more snakes that are very dangerous that are on the DWA, with some that are capable of serious envenomations that aren't currently on there.

The fang structures on the rear fanged are very varied with a few that have movable fangs. Also the venom delivery on some are varied with some coming out in fang sheaths, some just in the mouth and some in both. With some of the venoms being more potent than elapids (drop for drop) then there is lots more to learn about these snakes.

Mike

#23 ·
I could but that'd mean searching through CD's. Something i can't be bothered to do :)

Have a look on google, it'll prob be on there.

In terms of similarities, B.tanahjampeana looks more like a racer than a Boiga so i'm not really sure where that leaves us.
I'd certainly be happier compairing blandings to Telescopus than Boiga.

#24 ·
i got completely lost in this thread when people got technical but haho...i don't profess to know much about snakes but, when the mangrove snake in my local reptile shop started striking the glass of it's viv trying to get at me, it left a decent amount of venom trickling down the glass!? i was under the impression with it being rear fanged that it wouldn't be able to deliver its venom so easily!?

cheers
kieran

#25 ·
Well chances are that it is mainly saliva.

Though a lot of the WC mangroves that come in will have caught a slight cold and so have a bit more fluid around their mouths.

But some may well be venom, once they start to get annoyed I would imagine that they start to produce venom, which will travel down the venom ducts to the end, some snakes ducts will end in the fang sheath but more will end just in the roof of the mouth and mix with the saliva.

Mike

#26 ·
Just a quick pic to show the dangerous thinking that 'rear fanged' have to chew to get the teeth in.

See the wide gape on the first picture, and then see the fang just under the eye on the second. Not exactly rear fanged.

Also note, these are boiga but not the mangroves, these will be much worse.

Mike

#27 ·
Great photographs Mike. My Blandingii and nigriceps have no difficulty in opening wide
These two also easily show "rear" fangs and how easily the could envenomate - Ive seen blandingiis open their mouths almost by 180 degrees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.