Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you actually turn your thermostats and heat mats off at night and leave no heat running? or have day night stats or what?
cheers

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i dont turn mine off.i leave them on all the time.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
why???

We turn the heat off at night usually... BUT as the faunariums/tubs soem are in dont hold much heat ive started setting the stat to 72 degrees at night.
[THE PROBE FOR THE STAT IS TOUCHING THE MAT]
so the mat stays about 72 degrees give or take a few degrees throughout the night.
Obviously the air temp drops to room temp which atm is only about 70 anyway...so not too coool.

I just thought it would be nice to give them a little bit of a warm area incase they want it BUT thats only cos none of the furnishings hold a lot of heat and being on kitchen towel rather than sand no heat is being stored in the substrate for the night.

all thinsg being normal...in a viv with sandy substrate...the heat should be off at night
[aslong as it doesnt go below 65 ish]

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
so you leave it at the same temp day and night?
I have no idea why soemone would do that.
I am sure there must be some logic behind it but it defies the natural habitat rules as well as well... I just dont have any idea why lol, would love to understand it...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ye my room isnt too clold at night, were getting a baby leo at weekend. the pet shop are selling a faunarium setup with heatmat for £30 and te leo for £20 which i think is reasonable.
will the leo be ok in a large flat faunarium for a while until i build the aduld viv? cheers

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yea large flat faunariums are fine for baby/grown ons! seems a good price for a shop to! : victory:
Yes it does indeed.

ye my room isnt too clold at night, were getting a baby leo at weekend. the pet shop are selling a faunarium setup with heatmat for £30 and te leo for £20 which i think is reasonable.
will the leo be ok in a large flat faunarium for a while until i build the aduld viv? cheers
You will be best to grab a mat stat too though dude... for another 20 quid.
Sit the faunarium one half on the heat mat, have the probe from the stat going through a hole in the lid going right down to touch the mat.
set the stat to 92 [basically right up]

at night turn it down to 72-+ a little...as he is only a baby wana be a bit warmer at nights.

You alright with all the other stuff? moist hide, hides, substrate etc?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh course will be getting a matstat thats the only thing that isnt in the setup price.
yup 2 hides hot and cold, moist hide and using paper towel floor untill adult then may change not to sure see how it goes.
what age do they reach adult size?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
very well done mate, spot on.
one year and they are gettin on for adult size.

anywhere from 6-8 months onwards and you might wana upgrade though, but yourl know when the time is right and growth can varie.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and one more question do they have good night vision or do they rely on moonlight in the wild. i ask this because i dnt plan on gtting any bulbs so i would feel a bit harsh leavin it in a very dark corner with no light knowing there nocturnal lol mite seem daft but its pith black in here not like outside with moonlight.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
you know what.....I hadnt give that one much thought.

Is your house PITCH BLACK at night? if so maybe leave a hallway light on and the door open just a creek but basically darkeness is fine and thier night vision is apparently fine./top notch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts