Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Know people will say "with regular handling he will calm down" but i have one, although still very young that would rather chase my hand than let me near him. My albino black rat has always been feisty since iv had him but usualy i take him out of his tub with a hook before handling him because he gets so stressed out. he will be calm for a while and then bite me a few times but its not too much of a deal. Tonight I went to get him out and as soon as he noticed my hand he struck at it across the tub and sat watching for another attempt. I picked him up and he just repeadly one after the other, bit me about 8 times (drawing blood in a few places) before musking me.

I am handling him for short periods but he seems to be getting worse. he is perfectly happy when left alone, monster feeder, perfect sheds and a good weight but he just hates to be handled and seems to be getting more and more aggressive... Any ideas? It just makes me more determined to tame him but im a bit worried that im making him worse.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Mines slowed down. He's just over a year old now. All I did was regular and short periods of handling. He was a wriggler and a striker. Just let him know I was there then grabbed him and now he's good as gold.
If it bothers you use gloves.

Liam

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
I never been musked. Check temps ect

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
To be honest, if he were mine I'd start a 'hands off' policy. Obviously something about your hands scares him, so he's trying to drive you off.

I would use a hook when you have to get him out for cleaning or feeding. Don't get him out to just handle him for the hell of it - just get him out when it's necessary.

I have a Texas Rat who was very tail-rattly, very liable to S up, did strike at me as a baby. I decided to let her learn that I bring food and that the hook gets her out for cleaning - and now I can pick her up, touch her head and maintain her cage without any problems. Mostly because I don't push her, I don't inflict myself on her - things are mostly done at her pace and for her benefit. She's handled once a week only. I don't go hunting through her cage for her - if she's hiding, she obviously wants to be hidden. If she's out and about, I might open the cage door and let her come to me - and it's funny, but she doesn't show stress behaviour when I do that. Because she's choosing to approach the interesting scenery instead of the predator grabbing her.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
dont get me wrong its not that im bothered about his bites, it dosnt hurt. I wondered if anyone had any tips to help tame him. As i said i do hande him but insted of taming he just seems to get more aggresive.
How old is he and how big is his viv?
Liam

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest, if he were mine I'd start a 'hands off' policy. Obviously something about your hands scares him, so he's trying to drive you off.

I would use a hook when you have to get him out for cleaning or feeding. Don't get him out to just handle him for the hell of it - just get him out when it's necessary.

I have a Texas Rat who was very tail-rattly, very liable to S up, did strike at me as a baby. I decided to let her learn that I bring food and that the hook gets her out for cleaning - and now I can pick her up, touch her head and maintain her cage without any problems. Mostly because I don't push her, I don't inflict myself on her - things are mostly done at her pace and for her benefit. She's handled once a week only. I don't go hunting through her cage for her - if she's hiding, she obviously wants to be hidden. If she's out and about, I might open the cage door and let her come to me - and it's funny, but she doesn't show stress behaviour when I do that. Because she's choosing to approach the interesting scenery instead of the predator grabbing her.
That probaly the best bet. But what about exercise?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
That probaly the best bet. But what about exercise?
Branches? Mine only uses the floor space to have a drink. Spends all it's time in it's branch unless it's eaten.

Liam

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
He's only july 07 :lol2: He is in a 9 lt RUB at the moment.
Bless they're my fave snakes. They're so lovely and I love the attitude

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
How big's his tub?

To be honest, if he's active enough in his tub, I don't know that I'd necessarily 'make' him exercise by coming out.

In my experience so far (and granted I only have experience with four non-corn rat snakes - two Everglades and two Texas) a lot of the aggression is actually defensive - they can be quite nervous snakes, especially as babies.

The less they feel they have to defend against, the calmer they get.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
can you post temperatures as well? hot and cold ends

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Temps are 84 hot and 75 cold. I have found alot of conflicting reccomendations for temps, some say cool side should be high 70's some say 70 is fine. If anyone who keeps these is reading this i would be grateful to know what you keep yours at. Maybe i should try and drop the temps in the cool side a little? He does spend 90% of his time in the cool side.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
From what I remember, black rats should be kept a bit cooler than corns, since they do range a bit further north - maybe drop the temps in both sides slightly?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts