Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any advice anyone can give me would be helpful. ive never kept a snake before and ive been offered an egg eating snake hatchling from a friend. i have plenty of space but i have literally no idea where to start tbh. so seriously any advice would be great, im sure you get plenty of clueless newby's through here. lol. and if any one has any experience with these snakes that would be great too. i have many friends with snakes im good at handling them, thats not really a problem and ive seen their set ups but i would like to make sure that the snake i get will have a life thats as enriched as it can be. :)

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
sry i have no exp..when its comes to egg eaters and tbh i only have a small amount of exp with my current snakes..
this in effect is a free bump up.. gook luck with it if you decide you want an egg eater.. but ive read that they are not realyy for someone with no exp...

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you're taking on a hatchling eggeater, be sure you have a good supply of finch eggs, or are safe and capable when it comes to stomach tubing something the size of a shoelace. Being honest they're not a great starter snake, but as with everything if you are prepared and up for the challenge it can of course be done.

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im up for the challenge. it's gonna be an interesting experience and one that im looking forward too. :) ive been researching them into how big they'll get, how big their viv needs to be, i have a local egg supplier that does a whole range of eggs. my friend will give me a run down of everything, i just thought any extra info could very very helpful.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
any advice anyone can give me would be helpful. ive never kept a snake before and ive been offered an egg eating snake hatchling from a friend. i have plenty of space but i have literally no idea where to start tbh. so seriously any advice would be great, im sure you get plenty of clueless newby's through here. lol. and if any one has any experience with these snakes that would be great too. i have many friends with snakes im good at handling them, thats not really a problem and ive seen their set ups but i would like to make sure that the snake i get will have a life thats as enriched as it can be. :)
Try here

Egg Eating Snake - Dasypeltis fasciata, medici and scabra

·
Registered
159 Posts
These actually sound quite an interesting to keep.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Do a search on here as this has come up before and there was lots of discussion: there are a couple of people on here who keep them.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts

By any chance is this a snake he has gave you that he brought him self....as very few people have ever bred them, one of the few that has is guy on here, he is someone i would class an expert on there genus.
Even with correct size eggs its unlikely you will get a baby to feed on them, they seem to lack the feeding responce needed to eat them, and more often than not you will have to tube feed it the egg.

I certainly wouldnt advise it to someone as there first snake: victory:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my friend does breed them as far as i know. she breeds quite a few different species. i dont have the hatchling yet im still waiting for my new viv to arrive. i want to be prepared before i take him. i am up for the challenge. tbh i know that this isnt going to be easy to start with, but i am happy to give it a lot of time and effort and if hes going to take some time to be able to eat by himself then im willing to help him.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
my friend does breed them as far as i know. she breeds quite a few different species. i dont have the hatchling yet im still waiting for my new viv to arrive. i want to be prepared before i take him. i am up for the challenge. tbh i know that this isnt going to be easy to start with, but i am happy to give it a lot of time and effort and if hes going to take some time to be able to eat by himself then im willing to help him.
Well i would have throught your friend would have been able to advise you more? anyway i wont bother giving my advice and experince as its nothing compared to guys
drop him a pm
Reptile Forums UK - View Profile: guypettigrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts