Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, hello every1. I have been reading these forums for a while now but this is my first post :blush:

Basically i am looking to get a Beardie pretty soon, ive done a lot of research on the viv etc as expected and i am going to go for a 4x2x2 vivarium.

Now what i want to ask you guys is can 2 beardies be kept together or not? Now i know that 2 males will fight so thats a no no and i also know that when keeping a male and female from the same clutch you risk the whole inbreeding sittuation + i read somewhere that the male reaches sexual maturity first?? so this is obviously bad news for the female. But what about 2 females together... what happens here?

Happy families?
Fighting?
Need a bigger viv than 4x2x2?

I really have no idea as i have no real life experience with any of this so im just going from what i have read and been told by reptile shop personnel.

Please correct me where im wrong and any advice you have for me will be greatly apreatiated as i dont want to get set up untill i am completely satisfied my beardie/beardies will be happy and healthy :2thumb:

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
hello and welcome!!!!

tbh i dont knwo much!!

but i thin k female and female would be best :)

First of all, hello every1. I have been reading these forums for a while now but this is my first post :blush:

Basically i am looking to get a Beardie pretty soon, ive done a lot of research on the viv etc as expected and i am going to go for a 4x2x2 vivarium.

Now what i want to ask you guys is can 2 beardies be kept together or not? Now i know that 2 males will fight so thats a no no and i also know that when keeping a male and female from the same clutch you risk the whole inbreeding sittuation + i read somewhere that the male reaches sexual maturity first?? so this is obviously bad news for the female. But what about 2 females together... what happens here?

Happy families?
Fighting?
Need a bigger viv than 4x2x2?

I really have no idea as i have no real life experience with any of this so im just going from what i have read and been told by reptile shop personnel.

Please correct me where im wrong and any advice you have for me will be greatly apreatiated as i dont want to get set up untill i am completely satisfied my beardie/beardies will be happy and healthy :2thumb:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Two females will usually be ok together, if raised from an early age. But, it is never a guarantee, and you should have a spare setup just in case they don't. 4x2x2 would be fine for two females - I have kept two together in a similar size in the past.

If this will be your first lizard, I would strongly recommend you only get one. It makes it easier to get to know the personality of a single lizard, and you won't have the risks associated with different growth rates/fighting/bullying etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thank you very much, i think it is probably best if i just get one then as i really dont want to be causing stress for the second one etc plus i dont really want to be put in a situation where i have to separate them.

lol pet shops will tell you anything to make a sale!

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Ok thank you very much, i think it is probably best if i just get one then as i really dont want to be causing stress for the second one etc plus i dont really want to be put in a situation where i have to separate them.

lol pet shops will tell you anything to make a sale!

Thanks again :)
yes they will! i was told allsorts of rubbish when i went to get a beardie. they only think about how much money they can make from you (most anyway) i'd buy from a private breeder too, not a shop: victory:

·
Registered
559 Posts
i'd buy just the one, we thought we had two females (well, we hoped we had) and kept them in the same viv. we ended up paying a hell of a lot of money to save mordrid because idris bit the end of his tail off and it got horribly infected. it eventually went necrotic, he had to have a part-amputation and we seperated them as soon as we found out.

it's not worth the risk really, unless you're 100% sure they're both female. and even if they are, there's no guarantee that they'll get on.
as soon as we took idris out of the viv and put him in his new one, mordrid perked up, put on weight, started to explore, started to grow... it was like we had a different dragon. because they were our first lizards we didn't recognise the warning signs and thought idris lying on top of mordy and mordy sitting on top of his branch and never coming down was cute.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
if you can buy 2 females, both young that are together at the breeders/shop and even from the same clutch i think yourd have the greatest chance of them remaining happy living together but as said there are no real guarentees but id have thought yourd have a 95% chance in that case of things always being fine.
Maybe the odd vivarium adjustment [decor] etc etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts