Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wonder if some of you can advise me, i have two horsfields and due to the very changable weather only tend to put my girls out when the weather is nice.
Can they withstand the rain if i add a shelter in their outside enclosure, i can't add any heat or light as its too far from the house. Also would they be able to stay out over night if i shut them into a shelter?
I have a wooden hide in the enclosure but wanted something a little more enclosed.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
I've been using rabbit hutches for my guys - my Horsfield and both my spur thighs are out 24/7 now and have been for a good few weeks, well since I got the hutches anyway. :lol2: I do bring them in every few days for a bath and then they go back out. I've brought them in twice for overnight in the last 3 weeks when its rained torrentially for 2 days - they've had a warm up, nice bath and stayed in their tables overnight and then once its nice and warm the next day out they go again

Its the first time mine have been out overnight cos before I was always a bit weary and they never had anything safe for overnight - I feel happier now and a bit more confident and they're definately happier for being out all the time :lol2: :2thumb:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mrs Mental, when do you bring them in for the winter, i see you live in cornwall so our weather would be pretty much the same as here, just outside ot Tavistock.

Will leave them out when i have my shelter, what do you bed them down on?

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
You may be able to get the same hutches as I did - 24" at just over 20 quid - got mine from Doggies & Moggies (or the other way round cant remember now!!) at the garden centre near Newquay but I think they're a national firm so you may have one nearer to you or even get it online if they deliver. Any other hutches I'd seen were 50+ so I was well chuffed with 20.

I just have a few inches of soil inthe bit with the open wire and about 5" deep in the sleepy bit and they tend to go into the sleepy bit and have a good dig around. :2thumb:

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
The Range also do quite reasonably priced hutches. I got a little one recently for £24 from there.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
The Range also do quite reasonably priced hutches. I got a little one recently for £24 from there.
Yeah I liked that one seen it in one of your pics - jammy sod you are - they never had any when I went there. Looks a nice little house. :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I guess my fall compairs to you summer :lol2: my guy was fine he just berrowed down and he liked it :flrt:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies, my dad who is a builder is making mine so it won't cost me a penny, am very lucky.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Thanks for your replies, my dad who is a builder is making mine so it won't cost me a penny, am very lucky.
Ahhh poo could we borrow him to come to Cornwall for a few weeks please - me and Sweetcorn can share him! :lol2:

LeopardTortoise - I'd not dare to leave mine unprotected as we're right on the edge of woods and there's foxes in them there woods!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol! I have told my dad to start selling hutches and tort tables ect as he is very good at making things.

Ditto foxes Mrs Mental living so close to the moor i get alsorts venturing in to my garden.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Lol! I have told my dad to start selling hutches and tort tables ect as he is very good at making things.

Ditto foxes Mrs Mental living so close to the moor i get alsorts venturing in to my garden.

Good ole Dad - my hubbys very good for making things for me too though, I shouldnt really complain bless him.: victory:

As for the foxes yep you can't be too careful, their sly ole things foxes

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Yeah I liked that one seen it in one of your pics - jammy sod you are - they never had any when I went there. Looks a nice little house. :2thumb:
They had run out when we went there last week but gave us one they had reserved :lol2: They did say they were getting more in though but you'd have to be quick and not rummage in hedges on the way :Na_Na_Na_Na:

We have foxes at the back of ours too..seen them late at night when out with the dogs!!! So will defo share your Dad with Mrs M...plenty of tea and pasties for him :2thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts