Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my son just got a Leopard Gecko and he seems to be doing really well - pooing every day and getting less timid and eating a little more every day. He loves his mealworms, and we put some in his mealworm bowl every night with a spray of water and some greens. Problem is, they die after a couple of hours!

Does anyone have any tips for keeping them alive? At least overnight!

Also, we have to get the tiny locusts as the next size up we can get are too big, but they dont seems to get any bigger! The shop says that after a couple of days they double in size, but they dont. We feed them greens, beardie dried food, gut filling powder and give them water. We have had a packet for about a week and a half now and no change in size.

If anyone can give us tips, that would be great :2thumb:

Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
They may be really dehydrated so give them a piece of carrot the day before as they should stay alive for alot longer imo
Im about to post a thread about reasons why they should not be used, keep an eye out

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
mealies stay alive in a dish fine ~ just add a bit of carrot or apple if needed but don't spray them with water ~ it kinda drowns them ;)

Im about to post a thread about reasons why they should not be used, keep an eye out
oh and why shouldn't mealworms be used? :halo:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Mealies dont cope too well with being wetted (lost a whole box once by giving them water...felt a right meanie) Put them in the cooler part of the viv(so they dont cook) and out a piece of apple/carrot etc in the bowl...I change the mealie over in the morning (so that what is being offered is nicely gut loaded) what hasnt been eaten goes back into the tub

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duh! Here's me thinking that the moisture would help! I will try without tonight, maybe he will be keener to eat them too. So far he doesn't go to the bowl and will only take them off feeding tweezers - now I know why!

Thanks alot for the advice

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i usually "bulk out" my mealies by just giving them fresh veg this stops them from getting dehydrated as there is water in the veg. plus it will make the mealies have more vits which is alot better for your gecko :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Duh! Here's me thinking that the moisture would help! I will try without tonight, maybe he will be keener to eat them too. So far he doesn't go to the bowl and will only take them off feeding tweezers - now I know why!

Thanks alot for the advice
Mine dont really eat them out of the bowl either, they only reluctantly eat them at all, does involve alot of tweezer dangling (scenting with a waxie works!)

I swear I am an unpaid slave to them two!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He wont eat crix and not giving too many locusts as it might put him off the more nutritional stuff! Have just read something on the web about roaches being even better than crix and dont jump. Anyone use roaches for beardies and leo's?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
personally I would say that (along with many other keepers and breeders) even my hatchling leopard geckos are well able to eat and digest mealworms with no problem at all ~ also while studying various poop offerings I generally find that there while there is a natural amount of 'debris' this is usually evenly spread between the different livefoods offered.. the only time this wasn't the case was with a rescue who not only had a heavy parasite load but had also been kept in below optimum conditions for adequate digestion.
Andy (GlasgowGecko) has some excellent articles on chitin that are well worth reading ;)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Like kerriebaby siggested, try putting the bowl in the cool end so they dont cook. Mealies are more active at room temp. Also, leo's are naturally inquisitive so will wander out and explore given half the chance. Try leaving the bowl with the mealies in the rub for an hour. Also, as leos are nocturnal, i find they feed better after around 9pm.

·
Registered
175 Posts
He wont eat crix and not giving too many locusts as it might put him off the more nutritional stuff! Have just read something on the web about roaches being even better than crix and dont jump. Anyone use roaches for beardies and leo's?
Iv used them for beardies and imo they are one of the best live food in terms of nutrition

·
Registered
175 Posts
personally I would say that (along with many other keepers and breeders) even my hatchling leopard geckos are well able to eat and digest mealworms with no problem at all ~ also while studying various poop offerings I generally find that there while there is a natural amount of 'debris' this is usually evenly spread between the different livefoods offered.. the only time this wasn't the case was with a rescue who not only had a heavy parasite load but had also been kept in below optimum conditions for adequate digestion.
Andy (GlasgowGecko) has some excellent articles on chitin that are well worth reading ;)
Ok i have only kept aussie species personally
Have a read of my thread about meal worm nutrition

·
Registered
7,295 Posts

i second this :2thumb:

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Ok i have only kept aussie species personally
Have a read of my thread about meal worm nutrition
I did and taking that you stated
This advice applies to all herps and is a must read for anyone who uses it as a staple
then I would have to disagree with you in regards to leopard geckos ;)
The tough exoskeleton of the mealworm can be difficult to digest and impactions of the gut from undigested mealworm skins is not uncommon.
and while the above may apply to certain other reps I wouldn't say it applies to all reps as leos have been raised successfully for many years on a staple diet of mealies
As said there's two good articles on Andy's site which covers the aspect of nutrition, mealworms and chitin ~
Articles4
http://www.glasgowgecko.co.uk/Articles/Chitin.pdf

personally speaking I prefer to offer a varied diet of well-gutloaded livefood ~ as I believe how you feed the livefood is just as important as anything else ~ along with necessary supplements : victory:

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
My leos are fed mealies and they do really well on them so I am afraid I disagree with you aswell.

rainyhex - I gutload my mealies and then put them in a dish with some calcium and nutrobal, shake them up so they are covered in powder and let the leos help themselves. Water kills mealies very quickly and makes them all yukky-sticky so don't spray them. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
My opinion is from the experience years of keeping and breeding Australian lizards
It is also shared by many non biased vets who specialize in reptile husbandry
Please read these FACTS and make up your own mind
lmao and my opinion is also from the experiance and years of successfully keeping and breeding Leopard Geckos ~ and there's quite a few others on here and elsewhere that could also say the same ;)
as to reading facts ~ I do read thankyou ... I read and research quite a bit before making any informed decision and whilst other reps may not be able to correctly digest mealies leopard geckos are not imo one of them ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts