Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :)

So I've had my little fella, Herbie (Herbert when he's naughty!) for around 6 months now. He's a Horsfield tortoise of between 2 and 4 years old, and has both an indoor and an outdoor enclosure. Oh, and he's definately a boy because he seems to love flashing his bits around!

He was always an active little thing when I got him, apart from recently, when his poop sample came back from the vet and they told me he had got worms. But he's been treated for these and they've now cleared up! :2thumb:

Anyway, he's only just got back to being his normal self really, but I can't help wondering if he's lonely. I've had a read through these forums on many an occasion, and I know some of you guys have multiple tortoises, but there isn't really anything mentioned about it in any posts (or at least if there is, I managed not to find it :blush:).

Therefore my questions are as follows:

1.) Is it a good idea to house more than one tortoise together?
2.) Do they get on relatively well?
3.) Should I mix males and females (thinking here about possible issues with Herbie pestering any females)?
4.) How long should I quarantine any new arrivals, should it be a good idea to get Herbie some friends? (I have ample space etc. to be able to quarantine any new arrivals, so that's not a problem.)
4.) Am I missing anything terribly obvious and important that means I shouldn't even be thinking about this???!

Thankyou for reading my post, and I look forward to any answers, or further questions people have to offer/ask!!

-Emma :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
quarantine is 6 months

they say 1 male to 2 females at least

they are used to living on there on so not a problem as wont be lonely

we have 4 that live together and get on fine have a video of them all eating as well when i work out how to up a vid on here will do so :)(its up on its own thread to save hijacking yours )

Ian

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
2 males will fight eventually, 2 females generally get on.

As Ian said, it is best to have more females than males. I have 1 mature male with 4 mature females & we have peace here!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your replies guys :)

Still think I'll wait a while before I finally decide!

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
And have big enough enclosures that they can all get away from each other, when they need too.
Small enclosure and your asking for problems:0)

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
And have big enough enclosures that they can all get away from each other, when they need too.
Small enclosure and your asking for problems:0)
Very true! Each tortoise needs its own space if it wishes to get away from the other tortoises.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i got a male and 2 females they get on fine they live outside in summer months and in winter they will go in to hibernate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts