Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never do it due to the potential damage I could cause, but how successful is it keeping two males together? I saw an ad on the classifieds with two adult males who had been living together is all:)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'd never do it due to the potential damage I could cause, but how successful is it keeping two males together? I saw an ad on the classifieds with two adult males who had been living together is all:)
Given enough space i dont think it would matter too much, but again it would depend on circumstances imo. Theyve been bought up with each other so prob both have certain areas they sleep each etc. Plus as they have never been introduced to a female they currently have nothing to fight over maybe?

I would say this particular case would be space, they have plenty and therefore dont feel threatened by one another. If you added a female into the mix i would think things were 100% diff and thats when fights would start

(age may also play a part in it)

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Given enough space i dont think it would matter too much, but again it would depend on circumstances imo. Theyve been bought up with each other so prob both have certain areas they sleep each etc. Plus as they have never been introduced to a female they currently have nothing to fight over maybe?

I would say this particular case would be space, they have plenty and therefore dont feel threatened by one another. If you added a female into the mix i would think things were 100% diff and thats when fights would start

(age may also play a part in it)
I saw the ad that you're speaking about and was quite shocked but pleasantly surprised to be honest.
I still wouldn't bother risking it though and if i found out two of my hatchlings (that don't exist) were both male i'd separate anyway.
Things we can't sense change which is why people have often found animals that have been cohabiting for a while suddenly start trying to kill each other.
But then again, i'm not one to even keep females together, let alone males :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was shocked too but when I saw the condition of them I was pleasantly surpassed :lol2: I was just wondering as everyone always says they shouldn't but infact it is slightly possible :) That's why I'd be worried about, ten suddenly attacking:lol2:

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
i was shocked too but when I saw the condition of them I was pleasantly surpassed :lol2: I was just wondering as everyone always says they shouldn't but infact it is slightly possible :) That's why I'd be worried about, ten suddenly attacking:lol2:
There is always most certainly an exception to a rule
Obviously just because one person has a pair of males successfully doesn't mean anyone else will have the same success!
The person is obviously lucky that her risk taking has paid off for now

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Not something personally I would ever do. As has been said, there are just too many risks for my liking and it's just not worth it.

They may well have been raised together but the slightest change could upset the balance. So the stress of being sold, transported and set up again could be enough to start them off fighting.

Then the new owner has the responsibility of having to separate and buy another enclosure. If that's not possible then one will probably end up on classifieds again and yet another new home.

Reactions: Darwin
1 - 6 of 6 Posts