Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was either going to get a crested gecko or a king snake.
but another snake has come onto my list.
the kenyan sand boa, one reason is that there a pretty small snake and i also like their colouration.
anyone have any experience with these?
can u give me some general information and than ill ask more questions.
thanks, chris.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
dont know anything about them but i was tempted the other day but he looked like he wanted to eat my hand lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well we keep ours on aspen in conticos, the young ones and adult males in small and medium ones, the adult females in large ones. We've had problems with aspen with our hognoses (respiratory difficulties due to the dust) but the sand boas seem to thrive in it, burrowing around as they do :)

There's a water source provided at all times and hide too which they often use as a base to burrow under. Most are excellent feeders, definitely 'watch your fingers' time, though a couple refuse to strike feed and will only take a prey item when left on top of the hide (to minimise the risk of ingesting the aspen).

Here's a couple of piccies 8)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Do you see them much, or do they spend the whole time hidden?

·
Registered
641 Posts
The larger kenyans are kept in racking so we don't see them much as it is lol :roll:

They're not like gtp's or tree boas that always seem to be on display, but we have some 06's and yearlings in small tubs on top of the racking and they can often be seen patrolling along the top in the evenings 8)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Have you thought about a rosy boa? Same genus as sand boas. Burrow, small and handleable. I think they're nicer looking than sand boas too.

Cresty's are amazing. Fantastic reptiles, so much character and very handlable! Get one :)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
OK probably asking a stupid question but ill ask anyway :lol: I know snakes aren't meant to be kept on sand but with the name of SAND boas can these ones be kept on sand?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
talking to someone on another forum who has kept these in the past, he kept them on bird sand without any problems.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've seen the special sand in our shop and the one in there is on sand.

I suppose as long as they can burrow they will be happy.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
sorry...... nice snake aswell by the way.

Looks like a skink with no legs or something. Like a big slow worm.

Love the colour though.

I'd love a GTP for display once I have a couple of years more knowledge and experience.... Oh and cash!!! lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also what the research i have been doing kenyan sand boas suit me more than rosy boas.
firstly i do not have a great deal of time during the week so spot cleaning sand boas is much easier as their uric acid and poo is very dry, uric acid is in little white pieces.
it also doesn't matter that i don't see them that much because i am a school till late in the evening.
also kenyan sand boas can tolerate a much wider temperature spectrum so if i make a newbie mistake it wont matter to much as they can tolerate temps up to 95-100 F and as low as 75 F.

·
Registered
641 Posts
NNY said:
OK probably asking a stupid question but ill ask anyway :lol: I know snakes aren't meant to be kept on sand but with the name of SAND boas can these ones be kept on sand?
Keeping them on something like play sand is fine, we just chose aspen instead as it does a good job and having loads of conticos filled with sand gets a bit heavy lol :roll:

Just stay away from calci sand as it's really really dusty... :?

Good luck if you do get one. I'm not so keen on sand boas but some of the colour morphs are quite nice 8)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Cheers for clearing that up... i know you shouldn't keep most snakes on sand in captivity but wondered if they were an exception.. im learning new things... woo :lol: :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts