Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just found this while searching for mite treatment for a friend,

The Use of Natural Predators: New Success with Hypoaspis

Try these
www.defenders.co.uk/sciarid_fly_control.htm

Order a box of Hypoaspis mites.
When they arrive give each cage a quick spray with water to raise the humidity slightly then add a few spoonfuls of the mite mixture to each cage.
They will clear up all the problem mites within twenty four hours and then spend the next few days hunting down all the mite eggs hiding in your cages.
Once the food runs out they all die off.
They don't upset your herps, can be used to clear spiders, insects etc of mites as well and you havent used any chemicals or stress the herps by handling them.
One dose is all it takes, I've been clear of mites for over a year now. I'm going to stop now as I'm starting to sound like an advert for double glazing.

I gave the Hypoaspis mites a try at the start of last year, I’d brought one hatchling that managed to infect half my collection (with snake mites). Each cage was given a quick spray of water to raise the humidity. Then about half an hour later each cage was given between two and four table spoons of the mixture containing the mites.
By the next day I could hardly find any snake mites and everywhere appeared clear within forty eight hours. You could actually see spots of blood on the snakes were the predatory mites had attacked the snake mites.
I very lightly sprayed each cage every other day for a week to keep the humidity up so that the predatory mites would have time to hunt down all the other mites and their eggs.
After two weeks I did a massive spring clean on all my cages just to freshen everything up.
That was all about ten months ago and I’ve been totally clear of mites ever since.
he's ordered some so i will let you know the results, it sounds promising though :wink:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Thank God, i have been wondering where to get this stuff as i have heard of it and people have had good success with it (my snakes don't have mites, but it is always good to use it when new snakes arrive etc as a precaution :wink: ).
Thanks a bunch :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts