Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys maybe some one can help.... i have a sub adult albino kingsnake {well thats how the man in the pet shop put it} and since i purchased it 3 months ago it has been a great feeder.It shed about 2 weeks ago and since then it hasent ate but lately its going daft round the viv it just won't settle it goes in to its hide and then 5 mins later its back out nt or day it does'nt matter.... would it be any thing to do with mating, im open to suggestions. Thx

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
What kind of temps are you keeping it at? Excessive heat can turn them pretty loopy, but I would still have expected it to eat. Some info on how you're keeping him might be useful. Has anything changed in the troom you keep him in at all?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
A few of my kings have gone off their food recently... they will eat but only if I put them in the feeding tubs and leave a blanket over it for an hour. What are you feeding him as well?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi temps are 80 warm side slightly low cool side /and i try to vary the food between rats and mice humidity slightly high 70-80

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Humidity should be about 20 as they dont need it and all of my kings are closer to 85 - 88. One of my kings isn't moving or eating unless I have her temperature up at 89.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The humidity stays very high in the viv ...i cant seem to get it down the viv is a Penine tank,do i need to keep the under tank heater on at night ,as the bed room is quite warm... would the humidity put him of his food .

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Im more worried about respitory infections. I cant think how the humidity would get so high tbh.. the only way I can see that happening is if you misted or the water bowl was on the warm end.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
NNY said:
I cant think how the humidity would get so high tbh.. the only way I can see that happening is if you misted or the water bowl was on the warm end.
Maybe damp substrate?? What are you using??

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Are you using a heatmat under the pennie viv?If so is it on a stat?If it is where is the probe from the stat going?
One of my mex blk kings refuses when it get too hot,it happens every summer on hot humid days/nights

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I keep mine at about 5 degrees lower than daytime.. but thats me personally... it differs owner to owner.

·
Registered
257 Posts
what are you using to monitor the temps. and humidity? them stick on dial things are a load of crap, make sure you have a digital thermometer and hygrometer

·
Registered
475 Posts
My male Cali is about 5 years old now. For the last three years, about this time of year, but usually October, he does the exact same thing as your's is doing. It's their breeding season. If he's a male, he will probably not eat again until the spring. The reason he's going mad is he's looking for a female. You can either breed him, or let him get on with it and power feed him from spring to autumn so he doesn't loose too much weight when he starts again next autumn. This is what I do with mine. Hope this helps. Don't worry too much :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
My male Cali is about 5 years old now. For the last three years, about this time of year, but usually October, he does the exact same thing as your's is doing. It's their breeding season. If he's a male, he will probably not eat again until the spring. The reason he's going mad is he's looking for a female. You can either breed him, or let him get on with it and power feed him from spring to autumn so he doesn't loose too much weight when he starts again next autumn. This is what I do with mine. Hope this helps. Don't worry too much :)

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
NNY said:
Im more worried about respitory infections. I cant think how the humidity would get so high tbh.. the only way I can see that happening is if you misted or the water bowl was on the warm end.
The first thing that came to my mind was a respitory infection too, mate. I had a very bad experience with this when i began with snakes. One of my corns developed it, and first his stool produced blood, he became slightly restless and nipped a bit, then he went off his food and he died 4 weeks after his unusual behavior... take him to the vet, mate. i think it is the safeest option.

other thing could be stress. this could be from a large viv (tho not a great issue with kings) or the high humidity... 80 is quite high, i would think. You could try to make more vents in the viv near teh top of the viv and make sure your snake can't fit through it. this will rid humidity but if there are too many holes, it could result to too much heat loss... but this should be an issue if you make WAY too many holes. ideal for getting rid of humidity though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi is there some sort of signs to respitory infection........ its just the nearest vet thats takes to do with reps is 1 hr away in Belfast

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I dont think there are early signs.. but put the temps up to about 85 to make sure things are ok.. and definitely get that humidity down.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Apologies for the triple posting. Computer went funny! :roll:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts