Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok

We have a kingsnake who is about 17" long.
He lives in a geo
Heated by heatmat under just over 1/3... temps @ 32C (hot end)
Has beech chips substrate
Has cork bark hide and "ruins" to climb on
Has water bowl he can soak in (At cool end)

This is the third time since we've had him he's shed, the first no problems, but the second and this one he only shed the first 2 inches from his head, but the rest seems stuck.

Tried bathing, and he hated it! It's coming off a bit now.

Really, I'm a bit concerned something's wrong with his set up and don't want this to happen again. I think possibly it's humidity, but don't want to make it too humid.

Any ideas? Would he be better in a viv or something? Different heating? A damp cave?

Help!!!

Thanks!

Emma

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I Take It You Mist Him When Hes Up Coming A Shed?

Well im concerned that the geos (i see them daily - work at a pet shop - sick of the things :p) have a well ventilated top. This is releasing all humiderty. Which is what you need at its power.

I reccomend a moist hide. I used the cricket tubs and cut entrances for the snake and put in sphagnum moss or damp kitchen roll.

Just persavier. Keep Spraying the tank untill all skin is off. Continue bathing untill you are 100% all skin is off, watch out for the tip of the tail. Like leopard geckos, if the skin is still on, this stops blood flow and then that bit of skin drops off eventually.

Best of luck, lets us no how u get on :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Emma, I've got an adult king and he sheds no problem with no humidity at all. I find It's always best to let the snake shed itself unless it's obvious that there's a real problem. These snakes are used to a very dry environment and as long as you have a waterbowl large enough for him to have a soak then he should do ok. Yeah mine go crackers when i put them in luke warm water but tend to settle after 5 mins. If I were you I'd try the warm water again, or put him in a wet pillow case for 30 mins, then back in the viv as normal. take care, Phil

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
would it be worth moving water bowl to halfway, so increasing humidity a tad?

dont know - just wondering

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I think we'll get a viv for him sooner rather than later then!

Will keep on spraying him then, and maybe try the bath or pillowcase tomorrow night.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Winter season will be too dry for snakes.
Some of snakes shed beautifully year through.
But some of them don't.

Spray in the viv and increase some hemidity, when he is pre-shedding time.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
For now i would do as ruby cube has said by puting him in a damp pillow case, put the snake and pillow case back in its viv half on/ half off the heat mat.
Another thing 32c warm end is just a tad too warm, lower the temps by about 4c so warm end is about 28c.
a thing to try when he is coming up for shedding next time is to put a moist hide in his viv in the warm end. a moist hide can be as simple as a sandwich box with a hole cut in the top, with damp tissues or better still sphagnum moss in the box.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My royal is a rubbish shedder, I put him in a damp pillowcase and then place it on a heat mat. Skin comes off no problem then

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
The central heating has alot to answer for, drys the air right out, we actually had our first bad shed in god knows how many this year, and the most likely culprit, the central heating going on:lol2:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. Thanks guys.

I'm staying at mine tonight so not sure how he's been getting on, but will text OH now and get him to look at this.

He has a moist hide now.... when I asked on here when we got him we were told no moist hide was necessary!

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
no one thinks its good to move water bowl nearer warm side ? just saw a post on another site advising this

·
Registered
21 Posts
no one thinks its good to move water bowl nearer warm side ? just saw a post on another site advising this
It would be a good idea and i would do that but he's in a Geo so it wouldn't make any odds. They have a completely vented top so it can't build up any sort of humidity, this becomes very obvious now we think of it. We will have to get a proper home for him soon but as "the missus" (she likes being called that:whistling2:) said we were advised that no humidity was needed and that a geo would be fine for the moment. :(

Even spraying doesn't help as it's soooo well ventilated so i'll try the humid hide tonight and it'll be pillow case tomoz if this doesn't help.

Thanks for all the advice, i'm sure he'll be shedding well from now on once moved homes to a proper viv.

P.S I'm the "OH" lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update:

After the humid hide being in the geo for about 45 mins, elvis is happy sat in there so all should be good :flrt:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Fingers crossed for him. I have a moist hide in all my vivs, even though they strictly dont need them. Its surprising how often they are used, even when there is another hide right next to them, my snakes regularly pick the moist hide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts