Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would say best to use aspen or newspaper, aspen to look better and newspaper because it is easy to get hold of

Nothing wrong with sand as long as the particals arent too big

Iv got my cali king on aspen and with all the decor and cave, it looks very good

hope this helps

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
I would say best to use aspen or newspaper, aspen to look better and newspaper because it is easy to get hold of

Nothing wrong with sand as long as the particals arent too big

Iv got my cali king on aspen and with all the decor and cave, it looks very good

hope this helps
Big sand particles :lol2:

I'm not sure about sand but aspen is fine.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
sand acctually isnt very good for any reps, if its ingested it wont be good personally my snakes love shredded new paper or kitchen roll but they also have natural looking lino on the floor looks nice easy and cheap to clean

I wouldn't use aspen as ive said many times before aspen gave one of my snakes RI (respitory infection) i hate the stuff and it smells when they mess on it an it doesnt absorb anything either

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
sand acctually isnt very good for any reps, if its ingested it wont be good personally my snakes love shredded new paper or kitchen roll but they also have natural looking lino on the floor looks nice easy and cheap to clean

I wouldn't use aspen as ive said many times before aspen gave one of my snakes RI (respitory infection) i hate the stuff and it smells when they mess on it an it doesnt absorb anything either

how did aspen give your snake an ri?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
well he was living on it most his life before i had him, then when i got him he was very weazy and sneezing and my vet said he had a very bad RI that he must of had for a long time, and we put it down to his heating (or lack of in previous home)

so he was put back to normal heating and put on anti biotics (but kept on aspen) and it got better but still there

so got rid of the aspen and the sneezing cleared totally now hes in perfect health

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
My Cali's on bark and he absolutely LOVES it. He's a proper burrower.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
my cali kings on aspen , she loves digging , bless her :blush:

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
well he was living on it most his life before i had him, then when i got him he was very weazy and sneezing and my vet said he had a very bad RI that he must of had for a long time, and we put it down to his heating (or lack of in previous home)

so he was put back to normal heating and put on anti biotics (but kept on aspen) and it got better but still there

so got rid of the aspen and the sneezing cleared totally now hes in perfect health
the aspen wouldnt cause RI though, be the lack of heat : victory:

Id say aspen woodchips or newspaper. all my snakes always on aspen

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the aspen wouldnt cause RI though, be the lack of heat : victory:

Id say aspen woodchips or newspaper. all my snakes always on aspen
vet thinks it was the dust its funny how it stopped soon after i got rid of it kitchen roll and news paper all the way

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
vet thinks it was the dust its funny how it stopped soon after i got rid of it kitchen roll and news paper all the way
never had the issue with any snakes that i have or worked with, if cleaned out and changed on regualr basis then shouldnt have any issues

·
Banned
5,833 Posts
you can use aspen or newspaper as well as supplying a good hide or two.
RI is mainly caused by temps being too low and nothing to do with using aspen.....honest......and if that was the case,almost every snake in the UK would have it.
Just read up on one of the many care sheets here.
Kings are very easy to keep......alone :whistling2:
You do know why they are called "king" snakes I take it ?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Agree with the above post... these are very hardy snakes and not hard to keep at all, especially given that most or all of those available in the UK are going to be captive-bred.

Personally, I would never keep a king snake (or any snake for that matter) on newspaper for a number of reasons, the main one being that snakes like to burrow, even arboreal ones. King and Milk snakes are semi-fossarial and love to dig around.

I keep kings on a mix of peat, compsost, bark chips, sand and coarse grit mixed to varying ratios (generally sandier for kings) with various pebbles and stones littered over the substrate. For an adult I would go with a good few inches of substrate.

Having said that, aspen is also fine as it allows the snake to burrow to its heart's content...

Francis

·
Registered
59 Posts
I suppose theres arguments for and against all substrates really. Newspaper would be fine and probably your best bet during a quarantine period, I personally use aspen for mine and have never had any problems with it and my Calis just coming up to 14 years and still going strong :)

·
I am here to annoy you :)
6,588 Posts
I myself dont like Aspen, due to stories of RI. We use Orchid bark for all our snakes exceept for one who is allergic to wood, shes a king and has pop corn stuff.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
kings will be fine on newspaper mate.
Wait till you get mites and see what you keep them on then.
Seriously,they do not need to burrow and as long as you supply a hide,they are fine.
I thought you would know this about this sp. ?
Know what? That in the wild they spend much of their time underground? (And I am referring to a genus, not a species). And since at one point I was keeping and breeding sixteen different species and subspecies of Lampropeltis I would consider I know enough to make a statement with the experience to back it up.

In the confines of a terrarium Kings and Milks may not need to burrow, they certainly do enjoy it though, and I would never deny any snake (or lizard) the opportunity to do so as psychologically I very firmly believe it does them good. Even Amazon Tree Boas and Green Tree Pythons will nose about in the substrate every now and again, let alone "arboreal" colubrids like Boiga, Chrysopelea or Dendrelaphis that in a terrarium will spend more time underneath cover than in the branches.

Similarly, although Lampropeltis are usually classed as "terrestrial" species, like pretty much any "terrestrial" snake they will also happily climb up into low bushes to bask - imagine my surprise when my Florida King Snakes began ascending the various branches and logs I supplied them with and basking on them most mornings.

Now I make sure all my snakes have some form of arboreal element as well in their encloses should they need to wander above ground - and guess what, none of them have failed to use them at least occasionally...

For the record - I keep my snakes on plain, un-inked paper towels when they have mites or any other illness (which has fortunately been rare up till now - *knock on wood*). I've seen more than one instance of a snake being irritated by newspaper ink, so personally this is the last substrate I would use.

I'm not denying you can use newspaper, lots of people do, and as I said in the my original post Kings are rather hardy captives and would make do with just about anything... but when I keep snakes I do so to see them acting as naturally as possible and to see King Snakes acting naturally you need to give them something to burrow and root around in. Admittedly that means that you may not see them all that often during the day (especially Milk Snakes and Scarlet King Snakes)...

Francis

1 - 20 of 59 Posts