Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok 2 keep a 9 month king snake in a plastic tank with a heat mat on top of a viv so it gives more heat? my local pet shop said i need a 2 ft viv with a heat lamp and that it would die soon with no heat.im going to need to buy a viv soon either way as its getting alot bigger.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
plastic tank with heatmat will do a kingsnake fine :)
i would be a bit wary with using heatlamps with small snakes as more likely to get stuck in the guards which protects them from lamp

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
why heat mat on top? given that heat rises...

and your name is just pure class

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

thanks for the advice it helps i don't like the way the pet shop was telling me i need this and that and it costs like 300 pound im glad i asked you guys and i might of got you confused aj (i like your name 2 lol) ithe reason why i put it on top is because my room does normally go quite cold plus it don't help being in the winter it should be ok right?will it be to much heat?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've got a four month king snake, she's in a plastic faunarium box right now and has a heat mat under one third of the box. My room also gets quite cold so I have put some cork and a layer of tiles underneath the viv to stop the heat from the mat escaping in the wrong direction. When I first set it up the mat was heating the shelf more than the tub!!

Also you need to get a thermostat, put the probe on the bottom inside the tub at the hot end, and set it to 75-80 degrees. Get some thermometers also and attach them to the bottom of the tank at either end - cold end should be 70-75 hot end 75-80. I'm not aware of any need for a heat lamp with king snakes though, unless I've missed something.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I take it that you already have a viv running with another animal and that you are talking about putting the plastic tank on this. If so test it for a while first as the top of the viv could get quite warm, esp with a heat mat under part of the tub. It should be fine but check the temps first.

Usually kings will be fine with just heat mats anyway, but if you did decide to go for a bulb then go for a ceramic, not a normal heat bulb. The light bulbs are not wanted for a normal snake viv and are much more inefficient.

300 quid sounds more than a bit steep for a king viv, plus really I'd wait till it grows then get it a 3ft viv anyway as that should be somewhere near the right size for an adult (depending on species).

Mike

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to everyone who has written back it really does help.ive had it on top of the viv for quite a while now it seems ok yeah i thought 300 pound is way over the top for a king its a california king by the way its 9 months old now i will need to get a viv soon tho as it is growing quite quick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts