Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may sound like a strange post but my DIY skills are limited to say the least lol

Ive just moved house the new house has kitchen serving hatch thingy built into the wall thatll never get used its 6ft x 2ft x 4ft its got solid wall top bottom and sides, so what I want to do is turn this space into a Viv for a Red tail boa I have my eyes on.

the kitchen side needs to be air tight as i dont want kitchen smells smoke ect drifting in was thinking of using plywood to board it off but also want to have a small viewing window attached to the board kitchen side so first question is how do i secure glass to wood at this side as to make it so the boa cant push it out? second question, dinning room side what would be best front opening doors or sliding glass? if doors how do I secure glass into frame and attach to walls?

any other design, material, or general advice is welcome want this to look half decent as it will be focul point of room

thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I would suggest building the viv OUTSIDE of the serving hatch, but obviously make sure its going to fit and then after placing into the hatch i'd put some sort of trim around it to give it the appearance that its been built in. Hell of a lot easier that way but exactly the same effect :2thumb:

Oh and as shaun said, glass runners would be best :D

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
You need to consider rungs like vents, if you want the kitchen side air tight the ents will need to go in the front, if it were me I would start with a piece of wood at each end on the front so you cam fit vents in it, the glass is easy, you just need to get hod of some runners and get the glass cut to size.

You may also want some wood along the bottom at the front, so when you open the doors you don't have substrate falling on the floor.

In terms of a viewing window, the best I can think of for that is cut a window in the back board, then silocone a piece of Perspex over the hole and then get a piece of board to cover the back but again cut a hole in it, so that you cover up the overlap of Perspex

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys :2thumb:
seems like runners will be a lot easier and prob more practical, good thinking with viewing panel retri wonder how perspex will hold up to heat and cleaning ect though. sounds like this could be a lot easier to complete than i first thought, think ill attach some 2x2 plinths or similar to the outside edges and use this to attach back boards and runners as for ventillation am thinking of a 3 inch gap at top covered with wire mesh running full length of viv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts