Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi there after purchasing the yemen Chameleon we can pick up anytime although i said a week seems thats when we get the viv given.

my point is this i would rather he had more room (i hate animals in small cages)and although we are getting the other with all the gear for free it is rather small so i intend this week to make a 4ft tall 3ft wide and 17inch depth viv i already read about ventilation and so on,so i have in my mind how i will make the viv,
my point is this seems we are new and the viv will be larger than the other, what equipment would anyone recommend to kit this out with the only thing we have bought for the new viv is a large waterfall cant remember the name of it as i am going back today to pay and collect the waterfall then atleast the new family member will have access to water on different levels what size of bulbs/lamps for this size of viv heating ect would be much apprecaited,
it will be made of conti board (beech affect)and will have glass doors but big mesh vents at either side also we dont smoke in the house because my youngest has cronic lungs with being born 3 months early and we let plenty of fresh air in so the cham will be housed in a non draughty area in the living room,
we have the problem that we need to keep the room cool especaily in the summer because the boy gets too hot and has taken 3 fits because of this and the cham will need the heat so it has to be made of wood and self suficeint (excuse my speiiiiling lol)my wife wanted the cham and there was no way of changing her mind but i want everything to be ok for everyone cheers in advance for info cheers aj.

i just gotta also add this,i keep koi myself and the cham is more for the wife and kids but i made a dreadfull mistake last year in putting a holding tank in my pond upsidedown to plant my water lillies on it,biiiiiig mistake although the inside of the tank was lined the outside wasnt therefor it leaked ammonia and killed of most of my fish,think about these cheap water features they are not all safe to use as drinking water because they are just for a feature in your house and you could kill your pets like i did with my fish.make sure any water feature you use is going to be safe for your pet to drink out of :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I must apologise, i just spent 25 mins writing a huge reply..and for some reason i came to submit and the comp said id logged out, i logged back in and its gone.
Im very annoyed right now, i hope someone helps you out soon.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
im really angry about it.. cos it was a very long post. and im no expert on chams but i gave my best on it :(

Basically you want a uv tube running down the middle, a 3 footer will do, u can have it going virtically and central, have branches and plants or whatever so the cham has perches near it and away from it, near it means closer that 10 inches as they dont give uv past that, preferbly much closer, away meaning further than 12-14 inches so he is way out of it if he chooses. repti 8% is good.

starter box for the uv tube.

A heat mat to go horizontally, about the middle of the viv for backround heat.

Basking bulb, reflector bulb, 100watt, not a rep brand just a household one, top of viv, centralish.

Thermostat... i ahd a huge bit on this...umn, look into the difference with mat stats and dimmers etc and see what u want.

digital thermometer.

AND maybe a couple of timers to make it easier for u so the lights go on at the right time.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Think dean covered most of it...
just a couple things:

would have the uv tube on a diagnol as it gives better light to all areas of the viv..use a 5.0 for yemens they do not need more and can get sunburn from higher uv...

waterfall!!? eeurgh i hate those things! they are just disease ridden if not cleaned on a very regular basis and in my opinion useless! yes yemens will sometimes drink from moving water but the majority do not..hamster water bottles are the way to go!

get yourself a pump action sprayer much better than those rubbish little ones in a viv that size...and use warm water not cold when spraying..

make sure your ventilation is adequate...respitory infections will kill.

you can use a 150 in a 4foot viv if you find it is too cold..thermostat will regulate and you can get away with a normal temp stat but dimmer is better..

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
after spending ages again when i went to post it said login and i even tried to copy and paste first didnt work huh,

so gonna scale it down i bought a 100 and a 150watt exo terra sunglo basking bulbs today should i use them both pointing at different spots or just use the 150watt and get a 150watt reflector bulb ?

what heatmat do yous think i should use a 36x12 inch mat ?

bought a exo terra repti glo 8.0 but in 3ft format (after seeing belial post no affence to dean but i have read other post by belial and have came to trust the opinion and will change for the 5.0 although i also bought wood today and started to make the viv in the couple of hours i had spare and the outcome is a 5ft tall 3ft wide and 18inches depth viv :) so with that in mind should i change uv to a 4ft or a 5ft setup ?

as for the vents i have a couple of things in my mind but either way it will be more than ample,

and cheers for all this help i realy do respect all comments

i will try and post a pic later to show how it is going so far and where i think the vents may have to go

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
ok not being an arse but listen...

Belial says PUT IT DIAGANAL SO U GET BETTER COVERAGE
THEN
GET A 5 not an 8

its contradicting... the important thing is to have it so they can choose to have uv,....or not.

the 8% is a bit stronger than the 5%..but STILL nout compared to nature, chams live in fairly shaded areas so its filtered a lot whicxh is why a uv tube is acceptable.

to be honest the differenc e between the 5 and 8 is so bloody minimal it isnt worth atguin over let alone going to change it.. but whatever lol, I spend way too much time on here trying to help people out anyway.

And yes i am aware ive woken up on the wrong side of the bed but i dont give a fudge im getting piddleded off.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yes..was in a bad mood sorry.
i meant to add [and explain more why nicely] but didnt wana bring it back up.

But having racked my brain i still couldnt see how diagnolly gets better coverage as it still gives off for example 12 inches from surface, its just changing where the uv goes.

But yeh sorry, thing is with exception to a few ppl pretty much nobody here can actually tell me how much uv these tubes give off anyway, i only have uvguide.co.uk's studies for reference as it doesnt get a mention on the products itself and its just wierd cos so many ppl are all "uv uv uv uv uv important, this that the other" but dont even have a clue how its measured, what it relates too or how it actually compares to the natiral world.

I was out of order and i am sorry, every time i posted in this thread i racked my brain trying to word things best, had trubs with my posts not goin through, was careful not to contradict other good advice as too much info to a "newb" can be confusing and i just wanted to get the guy set up decently without too much hastle for the animals sake.
Sorry Belial, I read enough of your posts to see you try really hard to help ppl and do a fab job and i should have had more respect, it was actually
after seeing belial post no affence to dean but i have read other post by belial and have came to trust the opinion
that bit that got me seeing red, and its prolly obvious why although theres nothing wrong with it atall lol.. very sorry again.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
no worries i shouldn't have contradicted! in fact i didn't mean to as i didn't see the 8% bit you put on!!!

reason with diagnol: i can only say try it! seriously the light seems to get everywhere and you can get a bigger tube in...used to have all mine down the middle then when i was building a new viv i changed it to opposite corners..realised i could now have a bigger tube and get better light! they really need to do some research into the effect of uv cos i use it with my chams but not really anyone else...i think it is good for natural behaviour but couldn't say if it was essential...

i too apologise and we'll leave it at that..unless you wanna hug!!?:lol2:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
nah ur alright im toppless and a bit on the sweaty side :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i value both your oppinions and the time spent to help me out on being a total noob at reptiles,so because i am a noob in the area i have to look at what everyone says,
and the reason i went to change the tube anyway was because in my first post the viv was gonna be 4ft tall but i ended up making it 5ft tall after i bought the bulb so the reason i changed it was to get a 4ft tube instead of the 3ft i had bought before i made the viv,i am also sorry :oops: if i mislead you in the thinking i changed to belial,s advice instead of yours :bash: lol,
i already said i value all opinions and hey guess what i now got a 4ft tube 8.0 so please peeps dont turn black on me :),
atleast you 2 are the only ones that have responded to help me out total respect from me for that and the happy times that the cham will have he will owe to you peeps

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
sorry about that mate

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
no-probs forgotten already:razz:,viv finished and everything set and running sweet,gonna pick cham up later today so will post a pic of cham in his new home later

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
well its finished and heres a pic,hope you can see costa he is the tiny cham on the left side beside the rope about level with the thermometer,
only thing is he ate abit of bark with a cricket so put them in the icecream tub then no risk of swallowing anymore,

i got 2 real plants in there a fiscus and a devils ivy which i read was ok in with the cham he has ate some fiscus and tried the fake ivy on the left but i have sectioned of the devils ivy until i make sure it is safe for him to eat that aswell,any suggestions as to if this is safe cheers:)

drat image is ,massive will take another in a smaller res

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
???????

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
well i just took another pic but now costa has gone behind the false ivy so will just have to do with the pic off my finished viv for now until he decides to wake up for a piccy:) ,thanks to dean and belial for helping get this all setup and running cheers:wink:
http://imageshack.us

1 - 19 of 19 Posts