Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 juvenile klemmeri and they’re fast becoming my favourite species of gecko, they’re inquisitive, interactive, not at all scared of me and always out basking or exploring, really can’t ask for any more from a reptile!

I just have a couple of queries to make sure I’m giving them the best care possible!

My main concern is that they aren’t as voracious as some other gecko species, I’ll add new repashy calcium plus dusted fruit flies and they will just watch them mostly, occasionally tracking one down and going for it, they also shake dusted flies vigorously so I’m not sure they’re still getting the calcium and vitamins they need? Is this common? They must be eating as there is plenty of droppings in the tank. Also I add Pangea fig and insects gecko diet and only one will eat it and even then there is still much left over, shall I just try a different flavour?

Also, they spend much of their day basking, mainly hunting and exploring in the late afternoon and they aren’t nearly as flighty as I’ve been led to believe. They sometimes run about quickly but they aren’t as darty and flighty as some comparably small geckos, is this a sign that they need more heat or is this not something I should be worried about?

I’d love for someone with more experience to weigh in and see what they think!

Sorry for the super long post and thanks for reading,
Harry

·
Registered
11 Posts
If all the fruit flies are disappearing then they are probably eating them. I don't keep any Phelsuma so you should probably put up cage specifics (temperature, humidity, cage size etc.) for people who do. Have you got a heat gun to accurately measure the basking temps.
I have a pair Lygodactylus luteopicturatus that are similar to Phelsuma and they spend most of their time basking or around the basking area and they will leave generally to get food/water.
If the geckos don't take to well to the fig and insects just test with a few different flavours. They also have calcium in the gecko diets so if they eat it then they should be getting some calcium. They are small geckos to so they might not be aggressive feeders if you feed them a lot but I can't imagine that giving more food to growing geckos would be massively harmful unless they become obviously overweight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!
Theres still flies about but I think I’ve probably been adding a few too many, I do see them eat them occasionally though. I suppose they don’t need huge amounts as they’re so small themselves.

The tank is a 45x45x60cm exo terra with humidity usually between 75%-90% range, probably less by the lights where they bask, the ambient day temperature is always around 24°C. I’ve got a heat gun on the way so I’ll be able to check the basking sites accurately soon but air temperature up there is about 28°C.

Just today the individual I was worried about because he wasn’t exploring much was far more active, jumping between perches and scuttling all over the walls, he’s just shed so maybe this has something to do with it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts