Reptile Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

Here he is! Oli is a little 78g male captive bred Tioman Island Red O. purpurascens!

With a bit of luck, I might have some out-crossed babies available this year. The two chaps who have hatched out pure "Mainland Brown" hatchlings in America have said they are a pain to get feeding, so hopefully having a multi-generation captive bred father will make for easier feeders.

Apparently captive bred Tioman Island Red females can be extremely productive - laying four clutches of eggs in a season. We'll just have to see what happens.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

Oli strike feeds on frozen/thawed small mice and doesn't mind being filmed. He is such an awesome little guy, I hope I get some babies off him and I hope they get some of his feeding genetics!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

Oli shed his skin today, so I had a male O. purpurascens skin to do a subcaudal scale count from. He's not a proven breeding male, but as he's been sold/bought as male, he's probably been probed, popped or may have everted his hemipenes at some point.

Oli - 53 ♂
Cutlass - 48
Stabitha - 47 ♀ has previously laid eggs
Wilkinson - 47
Stanley - 46 (but this shed was broken, may have been missing a row or two)
Gillette - 45

It's beginning to look like I might have an all-female collection of brown O. purpurascens 😕 what are the chances of buying 5 snakes and all of them being females!? I might have to bite the bullet and actually try to probe them/rope the local reptile shop into probing them at some point. I was hopeful that Wilkinson & Gillette would be a pair as they're a different, coppery coloured kind of brown. Stabitha, Stanley and Cutlass are all steely grey/brown so I was hoping to make up a pair out of those three in future.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

Oli is often out on his cork log and this evening I managed to sneak up and get a photo without him darting off back under the substrate.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

It's bad news on Gillette's story. She died overnight. This is the best photo I have of her from when she first arrived (though you can see the puffy, slightly separated scales at the back of her head here). She was 135g on arrival (4th Feb) and today her body weighed 70g (1st May). She had too many health issues to overcome all at once. She'd been on antibiotics for a respiratory infection, shed multiple times in quick succession (26th Feb, 9th March, 29th March, 15th April), had two parts of her body that looked to have had crush injuries of unknown age (dents in her side in two places, likely broken ribs). She was only eating/drinking small amounts of liver/kidney smoothie if she was put in a tub of it for a half hour or so.

I would have loved to have been able to get anti-parasite medication into her sooner (the other 3 WC kukris were eagerly eating from bowls, so their meds could be put in their food and they'd reliably consume the entire contents of the bowl, getting the full dose). Tube feeding/medicating kukris is very difficult. They have overlapping, sturdy labial scales and tightly lipped mouths for burrowing, plus very strong jaw and neck muscles. They're also very pissy and seem severely stressed by attempts to restrain them and open their mouth. By the time Gillette was weak enough for me to be able to tube feed her fluids/food/anti-parasite medication, I think it was a bit too late.

Such a shame, she was the most colourful of my brown kukris, the underside of her neck was lemon yellow. RIP.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Syafri on Facebook posted a photo of another non-Tioman red phase animal. This one is reportedly from Sumatra.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Stabitha and Oli are now tolerating each other's presence. It took 21 days to get to this point! Fingers crossed they'll breed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, Travis Wyman has hatched out a clutch of mainland brown x Tioman Island reds and 100% of the babies look like Tioman Island reds! I was not expecting the red colour and the banded pattern to be dominant over the brown colour and the saddled pattern.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts