Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting an adult l/para this week, just wanted some advice on how deep for the substrate, should it be slopped, i have a flower pot ready to cut down, should this be half or bigger, will i need any other forms of hide, any advice on these or any thing else i should know would be greatly appreciated, cheers dean

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Gonna need a big flower pot! lol I'd say about 6" of substrate to allow the spider to burrow a shallow burrow to hide in if she wishes. Will be a happy spider :)

Water bowl, some decor if you like. Oh and make sure the substrate is dry :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonna need a big flower pot! lol I'd say about 6" of substrate to allow the spider to burrow a shallow burrow to hide in if she wishes. Will be a happy spider :)

Water bowl, some decor if you like. Oh and make sure the substrate is dry :)
i keep 2 of my TS on organic compost & vermiculite & my pink toe on coco fibre, which is best for the para?, i have read that humidity shoul be around 80 is this correct?, last thing should i feed her pinkies if so how often, sorry im a pain but i want to get it right

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
No don't feed pinkies. Lots of people think : oh big spider, must feed it mice weekly. It does the spider no good as they don't digest the protein very well. Can cause moulting problems, broken fangs etc Keep her on crickets and locusts as normal. Humidity would be fine with a water bowl kept filled up, and when you know she's approaching a moult, just overflow it slightly onto the substrate.

I use 100% coconut fibre for all of my spiders. It looks good wet and dry.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No don't feed pinkies. Lots of people think : oh big spider, must feed it mice weekly. It does the spider no good as they don't digest the protein very well. Can cause moulting problems, broken fangs etc Keep her on crickets and locusts as normal. Humidity would be fine with a water bowl kept filled up, and when you know she's approaching a moult, just overflow it slightly onto the substrate.

I use 100% coconut fibre for all of my spiders. It looks good wet and dry.
with that much substrate will i still be ok with a heatmat under the tank, or shoul it go on the back or side?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
yh plenty of substrate. they love digging. I woke up one morning to find all of the substrate on the left hand side of the tank. I wouldnt bother spending lots of time and money decorating a terrarium because it will just move everything and nothing will stay where it is. But a nice choice of T.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to be honest i was just going to usa substrate & a cut down flower pot, i have heard that they like to wreck, im really looking forward to her arriving, not sure what the wife is going to say, i hoping to get a genic in the not to distant future, i've seen i few on here but people dont want to post, so im keeping my eye out for 1 local

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
im getting an adult l/para this week, just wanted some advice on how deep for the substrate, should it be slopped, i have a flower pot ready to cut down, should this be half or bigger, will i need any other forms of hide, any advice on these or any thing else i should know would be greatly appreciated, cheers dean
The faunariums I keep my Para's in are 18x12x8". They have a couple of inches of sub, but mine don't burrow to be honest. Both my Para's have the same set up, with 2/3 of a flower pot as a hide. They both seem very happy.

Here is the male's set up. He is 6".

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for advice, i've divided a fish tank so para's side is 20L 15H 12D inches, she,s meant to be a little girl at 8inch, ive been drying out the coco fibre, so now im all set

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Cool. We want pics when she's in there. We looooooove pics : victory:

Good luck :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts