Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! DIY div here again. Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, had a look but couldn't find the answer to my question.

Laguna tub 470l in hand, but need suitable filter now.

Someone suggested on a previous post that i would be better to make one using alfagrog, pond pump and tubes.

Could anyone elaborate on this? Never made a pump before...is this better than purchasing one? If not, any recommendations for a good un?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Hi all! DIY div here again. Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, had a look but couldn't find the answer to my question.

Laguna tub 470l in hand, but need suitable filter now.

Someone suggested on a previous post that i would be better to make one using alfagrog, pond pump and tubes.

Could anyone elaborate on this? Never made a pump before...is this better than purchasing one? If not, any recommendations for a good un?

Thanks
I've never actually made a pump either so I can't help there. If you looked at purchasing one I would reccomend ehiem, but with it being a laguna tub you might need somthing quite powerful though and I don't know if they make pond filters or not.

·
Super Moderator
16,968 Posts
Probably me! I'll find some posts and link them to you showing the info you need, but basically a large box - we use a black dustbin and half a plastic water butt, a few plants in it, a pond pump, tubing and Alfargrog plus an electricity supply.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably me! I'll find some posts and link them to you showing the info you need, but basically a large box - we use a black dustbin and half a plastic water butt, a few plants in it, a pond pump, tubing and Alfargrog plus an electricity supply.
Ha! Yes it was Mr P!

I await your reply :)

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Yep, SP is the one to follow! :2thumb: In terms of general principles, the same kind of filter set-up is often used for koi- but as turtles make way more mess, up the pump power accordingly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, SP is the one to follow! :2thumb: In terms of general principles, the same kind of filter set-up is often used for koi- but as turtles make way more mess, up the pump power accordingly.
Thank you for the advice. We don't know much about pumps, i,e, good brands etc. Will do a bit of research.

Having a look through the posts the gist I get is that there is a preference to do it DIY than purchase an all in one :)

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Thank you for the advice. We don't know much about pumps, i,e, good brands etc. Will do a bit of research.

Having a look through the posts the gist I get is that there is a preference to do it DIY than purchase an all in one :)
You will have to buy the pump itself, in any case, but the filter container/medium is up to you. I'm sure Stephen P will be back shortly, but as I said, it's worth researching the systems koi keepers use, as they do this all the time.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts

DIY I would imagine is generally cheaper. I guess you could get a used one off ebay a bit cheaper.

Remember as turtles are filthy little beasts that the filter capacity needs to be higher than the volume of water it is going in otherwise you will have water quality issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DIY I would imagine is generally cheaper. I guess you could get a used one off ebay a bit cheaper.

Remember as turtles are filthy little beasts that the filter capacity needs to be higher than the volume of water it is going in otherwise you will have water quality issues.
Yep. So this Laguna is 470 we are looking for at least 1400.

Pet shop chap recommends the Blagdon tri thingy, pump, filter and UV filter (complete with waterfall and LED lamp...coughs)... 1400 l filtration, or their 3000 litre. Last one sounds a bit much, but we are thinking about the latter, especially as its down from £150 to £100 at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
16,968 Posts
Yep. So this Laguna is 470 we are looking for at least 1400.

Pet shop chap recommends the Blagdon tri thingy, pump, filter and UV filter (complete with waterfall and LED lamp...coughs)... 1400 l filtration, or their 3000 litre. Last one sounds a bit much, but we are thinking about the latter, especially as its down from £150 to £100 at the moment.
I bet he does at that price! I imagine you will get it cheaper online, although I know you should support local shops.

Off the top of my head I can't remember the makes of the pumps we have - will have to take them out of the ponds to check, but we didn't pay anything near that. You don't need all those extras.

Years ago we bought a filter box for our goldfish pond that was expensive enough, just a black box with a lid and some holes drilled for the tubing, hence why we now have made our own.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pics on your first post are not available but I can get the jist. Thanks!

Another option is the. Pond Bio Fish Mate Medium which filters 1500l (7590 ph)

Thats only 40 squid, and will save me the hard work, would you mind giving me an opinion? I am sorry to ask, I guess i am not sure about ponds as completely inexperienced with them

Pond Bio Filter Fish Mate Medium - Kettering Koi

On another note, if anyone is interested, popped our 800x800x600 tank up for sale in classifieds. Money goes to Gus the turtles holiday home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts