Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Came across some cute little water snakes in a shop today labelled as lake Nakuru water snakes. I have not heard of this species before and certainly never came across any when I visted Nakuru in 2007 although I wasn't looking for snakes when I was there.

Anyone know what these are and anything about their care a google search hasn't turned up anything

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Interesting. Can you describe what the snakes looked like?

If they really are from Lake Nakuru, and they were bright green, they are probably a species of Philothamnus.

But there are other things they could be, none of which are very common at all... Grayia spring to mind as African water snakes.

Where were they being advertised?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Can you describe what the snakes looked like?

If they really are from Lake Nakuru, and they were bright green, they are probably a species of Philothamnus.

But there are other things they could be, none of which are very common at all... Grayia spring to mind as African water snakes.

Where were they being advertised?
Got your PM was shopping today so didn't get chance to revisit but I am there in the morning so will try and get a picture or at least some more information.

They are in the reptile section of hollybush nursery in Staffordshire, just outside Cannock where I live. They were not as I recall bright green, but were a darker green and if my memory serves have a pattern to them. I will check this out tomorrow and report back.

They were only small snakes possibly only young. Quite slender with what I would describe as pin head shaped head.

They looked an interesting species and the label of lake Nakuru caught my eye.

Will definately get more info tomorrow and try and get a picture for identification.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Got your PM was shopping today so didn't get chance to revisit but I am there in the morning so will try and get a picture or at least some more information.

They are in the reptile section of hollybush nursery in Staffordshire, just outside Cannock where I live. They were not as I recall bright green, but were a darker green and if my memory serves have a pattern to them. I will check this out tomorrow and report back.

They were only small snakes possibly only young. Quite slender with what I would describe as pin head shaped head.

They looked an interesting species and the label of lake Nakuru caught my eye.

Will definately get more info tomorrow and try and get a picture for identification.
Cool thanks, I have to confess I am somewhat intrigued... :2thumb:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I returned today to look at these snakes and they have now been labelled as Lake Erie water snakes, and are £10 more in price than they were last weekend.

Now my geography is not great but even I know that Nakuru and Erie are on different continents.

Pictures not great as only had my phone and it was dark in the rep room.

Guess that's why I could find no information online about them. Still cute little snakes though.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
picks aint workin buddy

edit: perhaps its just for me thn?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Northern water snake (Nerodia sipedon)
Lake Erie water snake (nerodia sipedon insularum)
They are active during the day and at night. They are most often seen basking on rocks, stumps, or brush. During the day, they hunt among plants at the water's edge, looking for small fish, frogs, worms, leeches, crayfish, salamanders, small birds and mammals. At night, they concentrate on minnows and other small fish sleeping in shallow water. The Lake Erie water snake subspecies, Nerodia sipedon insularum, was once endangered, but now benefits from the introduction of the round goby, an invasive species, which now comprises up to 90 per cent of its diet.

From Wikipeadia

John

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ah, false alarm... Nerodia... if they had been Grayia I would have hopped a coach straight up there, cash in hand!

Still, Nerodia are pretty cool snakes in their own right, although as they go these ones aren't all that attractive. Would make somebody a decent pet though!

Thanks for getting the piccies!

Francis

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, false alarm... Nerodia... if they had been Grayia I would have hopped a coach straight up there, cash in hand!

Still, Nerodia are pretty cool snakes in their own right, although as they go these ones aren't all that attractive. Would make somebody a decent pet though!

Thanks for getting the piccies!

Francis
I have to say I was some what disappointed myself. As they were labelled as Lake Nakuru it sparked an interest for me. I know little about water snakes and must say they were not on my list of wants. I like the tree snake species myself. And would like to expand my collection when space permits.

But as my safari in Lake Nakuru was my first of many it holds a little bit of magic for me, and if proven to be from their and if i thought i was capable of keeping them correctly I would have added them to my collection.

Are Grayia rare then in the hobby ?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I have to say I was some what disappointed myself. As they were labelled as Lake Nakuru it sparked an interest for me. I know little about water snakes and must say they were not on my list of wants. I like the tree snake species myself. And would like to expand my collection when space permits.

But as my safari in Lake Nakuru was my first of many it holds a little bit of magic for me, and if proven to be from their and if i thought i was capable of keeping them correctly I would have added them to my collection.

Are Grayia rare then in the hobby ?
Grayia are very rare in Europe, to the point that I have never heard of any being imported and there is little to no info on their habits online. Judging from their appearance they would seem to be at least as aquatic as the more water-loving Natrix species, and possibly even more so (they do have a close resemblance in form to the Southeast Asian Cerberus, which is almost 100% aquatic).

Banded specimens of Grayia smythii look particularly appealing.

I have Nerodia rhombifer. Think i have 1.4. They are beautiful. and slightly unhinged.
Nerodia are always fun, and some species are truly gorgeous (the ones that have nice banding and patterns particularly). Real easy to keep, too - it's a shame hardly anybody keeps them here in the UK as they are great pet snakes (although I agree a bit psychopathic at times...)

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Grayia are very rare in Europe, to the point that I have never heard of any being imported and there is little to no info on their habits online. Judging from their appearance they would seem to be at least as aquatic as the more water-loving Natrix species, and possibly even more so (they do have a close resemblance in form to the Southeast Asian Cerberus, which is almost 100% aquatic).

Banded specimens of Grayia smythii look particularly appealing.

Nerodia are always fun, and some species are truly gorgeous (the ones that have nice banding and patterns particularly). Real easy to keep, too - it's a shame hardly anybody keeps them here in the UK as they are great pet snakes (although I agree a bit psychopathic at times...)
If you'd like some great field insights into Grayia in the wild, Get yourself the book 'Mean and lowly things' By Katherine Jackson.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
my very first snake was nerodia of some sort, (i recall libraries being a little more limited than google) which was sold to me as an african house snake :)

Reactions: Moshpitviper
1 - 15 of 15 Posts