Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to get this sorted in my head before I get my beardies after Xmas. Because I'm not sure I understand the differences between the different types of heating bulbs. I've heard mentioned; ceramic bulbs, spot lamps and probably a few others. And I know there's various wattages on each of these bulbs, so does that dictate exactly what level of heat and therefor temperature you get in your basking spot?

So what works best for you guys?

·
Registered
457 Posts
i buy push in spot bulbs, 100w, in a 4x2x2 on a dimming stat it achieves 130f for my collareds and would achieve 110f for beardies.

should avoid ceramics for beardies as they associate heat with light.

so any 100w light bulb will be fine on a dimmer stat.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
GodLikeDemon said:
I'm just trying to get this sorted in my head before I get my beardies after Xmas. Because I'm not sure I understand the differences between the different types of heating bulbs. I've heard mentioned; ceramic bulbs, spot lamps and probably a few others. And I know there's various wattages on each of these bulbs, so does that dictate exactly what level of heat and therefor temperature you get in your basking spot?

So what works best for you guys?
the temperature you get on your bask is going to also be dictated by the distance from the bulb face to the basking area.

Most xx watage bulbs with give of the same atleast as far as can be told.
Ceramic bulbs give off a little more heat for the wattage but no light..ignore ceramics for beardies though as said.

Just like a 60w bulb wont light your lounge up as much as a 100w its the same thing, only we arer also counting the heat aswell as the light for our reps...increase in light is relative to the increase in heat i think.

·
Registered
457 Posts
yup light and heat increase are proportional to a degree

as the higher wattages have more waste energy as heat, the amount fo waste energy is proportional to size of filament ie the wattage of bulb

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
A slight difference for me, as I use ceramics for my Beardie, Skinks and King Snake. The breeder I had the Beardie from set me up with ceramics and he has 20+ adults.

Its easier to control temp at night as its not a light so it can stay on being reuduced with stat I presume those of you who use bulbs dont have heating on at night. :D

I definetly would keep away from heat mats for beardies.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i use heat mats at night for all our reps.
some on back, some at bottom under tiles, beardie one is just on the bottom of the viv keepin the nestin site warm.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i heat room for backround temp, and unless your room falls below 60f at night you dont need night heating.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i like to keep our lot at 68 personally...and our room could fall below 60, i could wake up tomorow to snow on the ground...

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I've always used CHEs for my reptiles with no problems. Heat mats are OK for snakes who like some belly heat, lizards get their heat from above. I have CHE plus spots in my lizard vivs which I turn on during the day along with the UV tube, then I just turn them off at night and the CHE will cut in and keep the ambient temps there. I don't let my viv get below 75 degrees in their cool side.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
something people often dont think about...................................
in the desert..the sand gets hot from the sun...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts