Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right guys getting my gecko soon i got the viv just wonna check if im doing stuff right

heat mat - behind the sticker thingy on the back on the viv
light - perfect order inside top of viv
substrate - lino tiles
hides - normal hide
decorations - rocks and rack plants
food - tubs of crickets and a few waxworms and meal worms
water dish - full of water , lol
bogwood - nice and dried out good size
viv - nice large size

this sound ok to everyone ? let me know if im doing anything wrong

·
Registered
766 Posts
how many hide you got and were are they? otherwise sounds good

·
Registered
849 Posts
no expert on geckos, but shouldnt you state the viv dimensions, the temperature and humidity of the viv, etc

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hey mate.
You are best to have a minimum of 2 hides, whatever they be.
One on the warm side, one on the cool side.

Other than that sounds fine but ofcourse the important things like temps, light, food suplementation etc havent been specified.

Im sure url be ok as long as you listen to advice u are given and for the most part just use some common sense.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
As above, dimensions and temps would help.

HIDES: one damp for shedding, and at least 2 others, one hot end, one cool end.

HEATING: What sort of light is it? What wattage? With a heat lamp AND a heat mat, it will get above the required temps, unless used on a thermostat. Without a heatlamp, and with a heatmat on the back, the gecko won't get enough heat from underneath to properly digest food.

I have had leo's for almost 2 years now, and all have been kept with heatmats underneath the substrate on thermostats, to avoid overheating.

WATER DISH: if you're getting a baby, make sure it's not too full, they can be clumsy!!

Well done for checking it all out though, hope those suggestions help!!!

Emma

Oooooh.... just thought, you'll need at least one thermometer to moniter the temp. pref 2, one hot, one cool, but if only one, in the hot end.

LOL... great minds think alike deanandtrese!!!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
sounds good to me hun.like emz118 says though,i keep my heat mat on the floor of the viv too. :roll:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
just thought have you sorted out anything for misting your viv? :?:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Heat mat should be at bottom of viv under substrate to aid digestion of food.

You don't need a light with leos unless it is for looking at your gecko. If it is for viewing, use a 15 watt pygmy bulb as these don't emit enough heat to affect your viv temperature. Also get a red bulb as leos can't see red, so it won't disturb your gecko.

I have my geckos on Chinchilla sand, like playsand as this is the sort of substrate they would encounter in the wild. Don't know about tiles as never used them. They may get too hot if you have the heat mat under them though so be careful to check with your hand that they don't get too hot to touch.

You need a hide in the warm end, a hide in the cool end at least and a moist hide. Margerine tubs are great for this. And use sphagnum moss as a substrate, dampening every other day. I have mine in the middle of the viv. You can get sphagnum moss from all good garden centres. Make sure it has no additives and is untreated as these could harm your gecko.

Don't put too much decoration in as the more you have. the longer it will take you to clean out! Hides, 1 rock or driftwood and a water bowl will suffice and still look pleasing to the eye.

Be careful not to feed too many waxworms as they are very fatty. Probably two or three every two weeks or so. Gut-load your mealworms as you would the crickets. Bug-grub, grated carrot for moisture. Mealworms are crap unless gut-loaded as much as possible!

Please tell us the size of your viv. If your getting a young gecko, a smaller one to begin with will be better as they can get stressed of they have too much space and not enough hides. An adult will be happy in a 2ft x 1.5ft.1.5ft viv. A male will live happier on his own than a female will.

Send pics of your set-up before you get your gecko if you like. And you really need a thermometer at each end so you can check the temperatures. Also, the most important thing is a Habistat MAT-STAT thermostat to control the temperature of your viv.

Do you know the required temps for your gecko? 24 cool end, 30 warm end is what mine are at. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts