Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just a couple more feeding questions about my adult bearded dragon, who I'm pleased to report is already eating all his veg and locusts after just a few days with me! :D

1. How much veg do you tend to offer your adult dragons a day? I was giving Gorbash about 1tbsp, but he easily scoffed down about 2tbsp worth yesterday after I topped it up! I will probably add a bit more onto whatever you suggest as he is underweight at the moment, but it would be good to know what a healthy dragon needs now! :)

2. How late in the day is it safe to offer live food? Unfortunately I will be starting shift work and may only be back an hour before lights off some days. Is this long enough for digestion, or should I start feeding live in the morning instead?

Thanks everyone! :D

PS: Komodo large rock dens...REALLY aren't big enough for an adult beardie!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I just a couple more feeding questions about my adult bearded dragon, who I'm pleased to report is already eating all his veg and locusts after just a few days with me! :D

1. How much veg do you tend to offer your adult dragons a day? I was giving Gorbash about 1tbsp, but he easily scoffed down about 2tbsp worth yesterday after I topped it up! I will probably add a bit more onto whatever you suggest as he is underweight at the moment, but it would be good to know what a healthy dragon needs now! :) When they are adults they are supposed to eat more green food then livew food but 1 bowl of green food left in the tank every 2 days and live food every 2-3 days

2. How late in the day is it safe to offer live food? Unfortunately I will be starting shift work and may only be back an hour before lights off some days. Is this long enough for digestion, or should I start feeding live in the morning instead? yes that should be fine :2thumb:

Thanks everyone! :D

[URL="http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w477/Keblin-Harpous/Gorbash/Kingoftherock_zps6eb0c281.jpg"]image[/URL]

PS: Komodo large rock dens...REALLY aren't big enough for an adult beardie!! if you would want to make a good hiding spot for a beardie then get a nice piece of cork bark or some fake plants ;)
:2thumb:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well I have a large fake rock bowl for my 2 and they seem to eat most of it during the day which I spay with water first thing to keep it fresher

What I do it make a big batch up on the weekend and put it into a large tupperwear tub and take out as needed. This way it seems to keep fresher than in the bags you buy it in. They will have a good large handful which piles up in the bowl. Just fill a large bowl really as the more you offer the better so you know he isn't being under fed.

As for live food it's recommended not to feed them a minimum of 2 hours before lights out. I'm not too sure if feeding in the morning is best as it will discourage them to not eat their greens but if you have no option then I'm pretty sure feeding live in the morning will be ok, better than and hour before lights out anyway

·
Registered
831 Posts
can you not just turn the lights on later, so there is more than an hour after feeding before you turn them off.
turning a light on and off would annoy anyone even a human

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think what he meant was maybe change the light cycle so its on for longer when he is back from work
it matter what time its turned on and off, its liek saying i turn it off at 9am when i go to bed but have to go work at 7am so its 10 hours but if he/she keeps it on till 11 and has to turn it on early its a bit unfair on the beardie

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well mine are on 14 off 10 at the moment because of the summer lighting hours so I'm sure a few hours hear and there will not make too much of a difference. Can you just not feed in the morning to make it a bit more simpler?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well mine are on 14 off 10 at the moment because of the summer lighting hours so I'm sure a few hours hear and there will not make too much of a difference. Can you just not feed in the morning to make it a bit more simpler?
some people have them mornings they cant think or do anything properly that why everyone doesnt feed in the morning :lol2: i have that so everyone gets feed evening but best option when you come back from work feed him/her then let the beardie warm up for a bit after eating then turn the lights of. it will be fine

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
it matter what time its turned on and off, its liek saying i turn it off at 9am when i go to bed but have to go work at 7am so its 10 hours but if he/she keeps it on till 11 and has to turn it on early its a bit unfair on the beardie
how is it unfair on the BD? we create the day/night cycle already, why would starting it later in the day be a problem, they come from OZ anyway so we have already totally turned their night/day cycle on it's head.

I have no idea when the OP turns the lights on, turning them on later could be an option, it was another option, not sure why you are so against that.

·
Registered
831 Posts
how is it unfair on the BD? we create the day/night cycle already, why would starting it later in the day be a problem, they come from OZ anyway so we have already totally turned their night/day cycle on it's head.

I have no idea when the OP turns the lights on, turning them on later could be an option, it was another option, not sure why you are so against that.
do you own a bearded dragon and know how the cycle is going? my partner has owned hers for 6 years now and knows how its done. dont start a argument when im giving the correct info and your causign more issues on the OP. would you love to be woken up earlier then ussual every day? no then why would the beardie like it? they have been breed over and over and they got use to the pattern of sleeping 10 hours maybe a few extra and be awake from 8-12 hours.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
do you own a bearded dragon and know how the cycle is going? my partner has owned hers for 6 years now and knows how its done. dont start a argument when im giving the correct info and your causign more issues on the OP. would you love to be woken up earlier then ussual every day? no then why would the beardie like it? they have been breed over and over and they got use to the pattern of sleeping 10 hours maybe a few extra and be awake from 8-12 hours.

How about you give your adive and I'll give mine, you are not the forum expert, I will not be replying to you again as clearly you think you know best and want to argue with anyone else who dares post a reply when you have already given what you think is the definitive answer...news for you, you don't know it all and others can have an input too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Personally I don't think it's a problem especially if you were to do it over a week. It's no different than if I have to travel to London for a week and have to get up for work at 5am instated of 7. As said we are already recreating a day/night cycle and the day night cycle isn't bread into them to such a degree that and hour is going to make a difference

·
Registered
831 Posts
How about you give your adive and I'll give mine, you are not the forum expert, I will not be replying to you again as clearly you think you know best and want to argue with anyone else who dares post a reply when you have already given what you think is the definitive answer...news for you, you don't know it all and others can have an input too.
others can have a input if they want but they have a beardie whilst you own a crestie and believe you know everything on every species on this forum but truly if you know what to say then say it but if you dont then dont. i comment on posts i know i can tell someone the stuff i know whilst you comment tellign them a different story when you have no experiance with such reptiles.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Personally I don't think it's a problem especially if you were to do it over a week. It's no different than if I have to travel to London for a week and have to get up for work at 5am instated of 7. As said we are already recreating a day/night cycle and the day night cycle isn't bread into them to such a degree that and hour is going to make a difference
many care sheets and most bearded dragon keepers give there beardies 10-12 hours of sleep and light for 8-12 hours. it is recreating there enviroment not controling it by how were willing to do it as its not fair on the dragon then. its like saying what happens our light was being controlled? and someone decides to turn it on earlier then usual when you have not had full sleep? you wouldnt feel the best

·
Registered
303 Posts
Point made but if you have no other option the it will be best for the dragon in the long run. Summer time hours are always longer than winter hours so if you want to get picky about recreating day/night cycles and not controlling it then they should have 12/12 spring, 14/10 summer and 10/14 winter. Our and any other country have the day/night cycle slowly increase or decrease over a period of time which would be almost impossible to create but you can see my point too

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
others can have a input if they want but they have a beardie whilst you own a crestie and believe you know everything on every species on this forum but truly if you know what to say then say it but if you dont then dont. i comment on posts i know i can tell someone the stuff i know whilst you comment tellign them a different story when you have no experiance with such reptiles.
sorry but you are not telling us on here who can and can not have an input, who do you think you are.

I do not need to have a beardie to be able to give a suggestion, it's up to the OP to read the suggestions and choose what suits them.

Yes I have a creatie, which has a night/day cycle so yes I do know about such things, you really need to get over yourself and not feel upset if others give a better or different answer to you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I see no problem with changing light cycles by an hour or two at either side, as long as it's done gradually.

As somebody above has already mentioned, we've already changed their light cycles from what they'd experience in the wild, there's no problem in tweaking them a little more.

edit- oh! Actually on topic, I try not to feed anything if the lights will be turning off within 2 hours.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Point made but if you have no other option the it will be best for the dragon in the long run. Summer time hours are always longer than winter hours so if you want to get picky about recreating day/night cycles and not controlling it then they should have 12/12 spring, 14/10 summer and 10/14 winter. Our and any other country have the day/night cycle slowly increase or decrease over a period of time which would be almost impossible to create but you can see my point too
summer time is understandabel but i stay with my partner i tend to feed her beardie i check timing before lights go on or off and he gets 10 hours sleep each night but givign too much day and not enough night sleep could cause a stressy (or even aggresive) beardie and i have seen such things happen. i can accept now for summer if it gets minimum about 8.30-9 hours sleep then its still fine but going under its kinda unfair if you see my point : victory:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.