Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read in a few places now that in lavamels the lava gene is co-dominant with the amelanistic gene. has anyone heard this, or can anyone confirm or dispute it? any help would be appreciated cos i've just got a lavamel up on the morph guide (thanks oliver!), and could do with adding a little to the description.

Ians Vivarium - Corn Snake colour morph guide

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
According to several threads on www.cornsnakes.com Joe Pierce (the original founder of the Lava line) explains Lavas and the test breeding he did wht them. From this it looks like Lava isn't on the same gene locus as Amel - a Lavamel is a double homozygous animal, carrying two copies of Amel and two copies of Lava. If you breed an Amel to a Lava you get normals het for amel and lava.

This is totally different to Ultra, which is carried on the same gene locus as Amel and is codominant to it - and thus produces Ultramel when you breed an Amel to an Ultra.

Reactions: eeji

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
thats it, lavamel isnt co dom.
oli on here will be breeding them this year, i dont think there will be too many about.
i have a pair but they are young.
i do have lava and ice and am planning on breeding those later this year.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
well they are well ahead of us, but i havent heard anythin... and if that was the case, well oli would certainly be laughing

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
yea how sweet would that be if Lava was co-dom lol.
this years females to get the lavamel treatment are the lavamel female, a female butter, a female ghost motley and a female anery which im picking up from Dex soon.
Breeding with the butter would give 50% lavamels instantly, its always worth a try, my male could just decide to be a good boy and be Co-Dom :lol2:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
j.daniel? who dat then?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
oh i got ya, hes a distant relative of the famous mr 1664? lol​

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
arthur guiness? THATS Not very pint sized :lol2: