Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have 5 royals now. 4 are really active, I can guarantee that from around 5ish every night they will be out and about looking for an escape route or handling session :lol2:.

But the other snake seems really lazy (Rolo). I only ever see her at feeding time, and even then it's only half her body she sticks out of the hide!, or when it's time to clean out.

I handled the normals for the first time on Tuesday after having them for 10 days and Rolo seemed very lazy in my hands. She moved her head and neck in small, jerky movements and was reluctant to fully stretch out....

I'm going for another handling session with her tonight and shall see if I get anymore response.

Are royals usually lazy and the others are just abnormal or should I start paying 'extra' attention to Rolo?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
methinks you'll find Rolo isn't the odd one in your collection!

they are all different... mine might sleep for days, then be really active for days... or not.

Rolo is probably partying all night and needs a nap.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
aww Rolo sounds cute, i get the impression shes new to your collection? maybe shes settling in?
my royal only comes out on occassion, he seems to go through patches off wanting to come out and being up all evening to spending all his time in his hide : victory:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aww Rolo sounds cute, i get the impression shes new to your collection? maybe shes settling in?
my royal only comes out on occassion, he seems to go through patches off wanting to come out and being up all evening to spending all his time in his hide : victory:
Yeah, she's new. Hopefully she just needs to settle in then will start being a bit more active.

methinks you'll find Rolo isn't the odd one in your collection!

they are all different... mine might sleep for days, then be really active for days... or not.

Rolo is probably partying all night and needs a nap.
I wish she was partying all night :lol2:. The other 2 absolutely trash their rubs, changing the paper every day or so as they manage to roll it up into a ball or tip their water on to it. Rolo's rub is pristine at all times (she even goes to the toilet in her hide so she doesn't have to move :bash:)

Tempted to take her out for handling again but may be best to leave again until next week after she's had her 3rd feed (which will be just as lazy, she pokes her head out and has a sniff then goes back to bed. Leave it in the rub and she eats when she's ready lol)

Absolutley fantastic looking snabies though, hoping to get some nice pics this weekend if I can get some nice sunlight!

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Hi,

Rolo is the one acting normally. :)

I would stop handling them for a bit to let them settle in and get a few meals. : victory:

dr del

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Rolo is the one acting normally. :)

I would stop handling them for a bit to let them settle in and get a few meals. : victory:

dr del
I've only had them out once apart from rub changes.

I'll leave them be for another week then and see if she opens up a bit :2thumb:

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
might be too early to tell
might be that Rolo is taking a little extra time to settle in?

Did you get them all from the same place, and do you know any details of their history. Maybe she's always been on Aspen or Orchid or something ... and doesn't like kitchen towel.

(I got my first Royal from a shop that kept them on Beech ... so I put Beech in his RUB to give as much similarity as possible)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
might be too early to tell
might be that Rolo is taking a little extra time to settle in?

Did you get them all from the same place, and do you know any details of their history. Maybe she's always been on Aspen or Orchid or something ... and doesn't like kitchen towel.

(I got my first Royal from a shop that kept them on Beech ... so I put Beech in his RUB to give as much similarity as possible)
All 3 females came from same breeder. They were kept on newspaper but other than that not much more history was available.

As long as she carries on eating then there's no harm if she's a bit lazy, just don't want her getting fat from no exercise :lol2:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Talking of royals settling in. I got told not to handle it for a few weeks, as most of the time it can cause them to not eat :whistling2:

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Talking of royals settling in. I got told not to handle it for a few weeks, as most of the time it can cause them to not eat :whistling2:
Yep I've been told:
- don't handle it for two weeks
- don't handle it for a week
- don't handle it for 48 hours

People laugh at the 2 weeks thing. I think I've given mine 3-5 days depending on the snake. For my very jumpy Corn I was just putting my hands in his viv to let him get used to the smell and not associate it with any harm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
mines pretty lazy also......when i get him out to handle, he is usually active for a little bit..climbs around a bit, then just finds a spot and lays still...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts