Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just set up an Exo Terra Crestie home, and would like to have some leaf litter on the plantation soil substrate to give it a more natural look.

Are there any leaves that are better to use, or any ones to avoid? I know coming from a fishkeeping background there are some that shouldn't be used.

I know they will need baking etc before use.

Many thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use orchid bark in mine. It's really cheap and it looks great!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
i just go up to the woods and grab a tesco bag full of leaf litter and dump it straight in my viv add tropical springtails and tropical woodlice and viola you have a self cleaning viv so all you need to do is clean the glass :2thumb:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Can't afford to use a Tesco bag we have to pay 5p in Wales now :lol2:
HAHA!. I work for primark....we are charging 5p for all sizes..can u emaging the riots?!?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just be careful when picking up leaf litter from the wild! You dont wanna pick up any nasties livong on the leafs. Like mould, bugs, bacteria or fungi!

I wouldn't do it personally, not worth the risk!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Leaf litter is fine, i would recommend oak leaves as these take a while to break down, its best practice to microwave them for 30 seconds or so to kill any pathogens which may harm your lizards, as someone else said you can add tropical woodlice & springtails to ensure the substrate is self cleaning

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I collect oak leaves from the woods at the kennels where i work (nowhere near where the dogs are). I just "cooked" them in the oven for about 5 mins to kill off any nasty bugs, then put them in the vivs :2thumb:.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Can't afford to use a Tesco bag we have to pay 5p in Wales now :lol2:
haha you tight assed welsh lmao

the chances of your crestie getting anything nasty from the leaves are so very slim. just make sure you pick them up from somewhere that isnt near high traffic and make sure theres no poo in it either. i know people that have been doing this for a very longtime and never ever had anything happen to there reps or i wouldnt do it either plus all those bugs that are in the leaf litter are amazing to help keep your viv clean aswell :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

the chances of your crestie getting anything nasty from the leaves are so very slim. just make sure you pick them up from somewhere that isnt near high traffic and make sure theres no poo in it either. i know people that have been doing this for a very longtime and never ever had anything happen to there reps or i wouldnt do it either plus all those bugs that are in the leaf litter are amazing to help keep your viv clean aswell :2thumb:
Government policy mate. Shops can get fined large sums of money for not conforming to the new policy. We're saving the environment! haha, you see everyone going shopping now with huge duffel bags!

Leaf litter is perfectly fine too for those who said not to risk it. It creates a microsystem within the vivarium which breaks down nasties, theres certain reptiles it works with, those who dont need humidity i wouldnt bother trying it with like agamas, BD's, etc.

Reactions: Barlow

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Government policy mate. Shops can get fined large sums of money for not conforming to the new policy. We're saving the environment! haha, you see everyone going shopping now with huge duffel bags!

Leaf litter is perfectly fine too for those who said not to risk it. It creates a microsystem within the vivarium which breaks down nasties, theres certain reptiles it works with, those who dont need humidity i wouldnt bother trying it with like agamas, BD's, etc.
haha must be different in scotland then haha good times lol

and yeah only use the leaf litter for rainforest setups lol beardies or uros wouldnt like it to much haha

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

I am glad about the charge, less waste to landfill and less blowing about in the woods when I am collecting my leaves :2thumb:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I am glad about the charge, less waste to landfill and less blowing about in the woods when I am collecting my leaves :2thumb:
haha very true lol it was always handy though when i forget to take one when i walk the dog 10 green dog poo bags aint the best for carrying lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts