Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for leaves to use as the top layer of my substrate,

hopefully gonna go pick some on sunday and im just wandering if anyone can tell me what to avoid and what to look out for

thanks

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
im looking for leaves to use as the top layer of my substrate,

hopefully gonna go pick some on sunday and im just wandering if anyone can tell me what to avoid and what to look out for

thanks
oak,essential they are not contaminated with sprays,we also use clematis armandii,the ever green one,that flowers in the spring
Stu

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thank you, ill go oak hunting on sunday then

also what sort of twigs? (thinking for helping drainage, rather than decor) or is that gona end up in the same answer as i got for leaves?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
cool, thank you, ill go oak hunting on sunday then

also what sort of twigs? (thinking for helping drainage, rather than decor) or is that gona end up in the same answer as i got for leaves?
yup and no:lol2: here you have more options mate,of course oak cool ,but also,friutwoods :apple plum etc, ash hazel,thats a goodish start,
regards
stu

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Just to add to what Stu has said I use a mixture of magnolia, oak and ficus benjamina leaves. The ficus and magnolia leaves last really well and springtails seem to love to congregate underneath them

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, might look into b&q see if they have any cheap, dying fruit trees and hack them to peices,

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I use sycamore leaves as well, they get broken down eventually, but they last quite a while. In my Asian spiny toad tank I use bamboo leaves (of course!:lol2:)- they last forever!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just reviving this thread instead of creating another one

out of interest can cherry blossom leaves and twigs be used?

i have one outside my house and its my next door neighbours and overhangs into our garden so i wouldnt mind hacking away at the branches and leaves on our side

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
just reviving this thread instead of creating another one

out of interest can cherry blossom leaves and twigs be used?

i have one outside my house and its my next door neighbours and overhangs into our garden so i wouldnt mind hacking away at the branches and leaves on our side
Yep, cherry should be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts