1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following questions apply to a leopard gecko

1. what substrate should be used?

2. minimum size viv for one?

3. how much food should be given to an adult dailly?

4. what should the crickets be fed and supplemented with?

5. will I need a light or will a heat mat be ok if the tempertures are right?

thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
1. i use bathroom lino

2. i keep both mine in 50L RUB tubs

3. as much as they will eat in about five or 10 minutes.

4. bug grub and calcium / nutrabol that's what mine get and a bit of wheatabix too

5. heat mats work fine, leopard geckos don't need to bask :)

hope those quick answers help!

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. i use bathroom lino

2. i keep both mine in 50L RUB tubs

3. as much as they will eat in about five or 10 minutes.

4. bug grub and calcium / nutrabol that's what mine get and a bit of wheatabix too

5. heat mats work fine, leopard geckos don't need to bask :)

hope those quick answers help!
yeah, thanks.

I know they should all be dusted with calcium powder but how often should Nurrabol be given as I've heard they can OD

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
nutrobal can be given every three times weekly as long as there is a constant supply of calcium in the viv an adult would be fine with a three times weekly dusting
Babies we dust every other day

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you've confused me there Faith..

With adult geckos you don't need to feed them daily, just every 2 or 3 days or so (from what i've been led to believe). So do you feed daily or dust every feeding time?

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
you've confused me there Faith..

With adult geckos you don't need to feed them daily, just every 2 or 3 days or so (from what i've been led to believe). So do you feed daily or dust every feeding time?
We give ours a constant supply of meal worms so they eat those when ever they like we then give crickets or locust every 3 days and dust those every other feed although they still have calcium powder in with them

Babies we feed every day and dust every other feed as well as their constant supply of mealies

They are growing fine and we havent had an over weight leo on our hands yet ;)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
1. what substrate should be used?
I use kitchen roll. It's easy to clean out that way and cheap to maintain.

2. minimum size viv for one?
You can use faunariums like I use, they're big enough to house 2 adults together comfortably and can have just one on their own.
3. how much food should be given to an adult dailly?
Adult's don't need daily feedings. I give 2-3 hoppers 3-4 days. And a wax worm when I feel like it. Only as a treat though or if in breeding season with my females.

4. what should the crickets be fed and supplemented with?

Bulk-feeding the crickets is a good idea :) I use fish-food mixed with calcium powder, bran flakes and some carrot usually. I have a constant supply of calcium in their vivs and every other cleaning I change it with nutrobol so I don't actually dust the hoppers.
5. will I need a light or will a heat mat be ok if the tempertures are right?
A heat mat is fine. As long as they have a warm area it's fine. You don't need a light at all, although some people like to see their geckos lol I don't personally have a light.
thanks
Hope this helps :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts