Reptile Forums banner

Leo advice needed

439 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Madhouse5 
#1 ·
I have a normal female leo. She has been busy laying infertile eggs, she lives on her own, for the last few months and has not layed any for the last 7 weeks. I am assuming she has now stopped laying. However since stopping her behaviour has changed. She use to like being handled but now seems skittish when we go to pick her up and just wants to get away from us. She is spending all her time in her moss box and I do mean all her time only coming out to poo then going straight back. She is also eating less only one morio worm twice a week, she was eating several every other day. And the occasional locust. I can see that she will not need to eat as much now she is not laying eggs but she just seems uninterested in everything really. We have noticed that her colouring on her legs sometimes seems to change throughout the day from a very pale colour to a darker brownish/red if that makes sense. Her eyes seem to have become slightly cross eyed, don't know if that means anything to anyone.
This is a description of her set up.
3 ft x 18" viv, cold hides and a warm moss hide and another hot hide.
Substrate is kitchen towel.
Various mopani wood and vines.
Bowl with pure calcium in and water dish.
Hot end reads 30-31c with digital thermometer cold end is around 22-24c.
No lighting only normal room lighting.
Her poo looks the same and she weighs 67g.

Is this normal behaviour for some leos? Our other female leo has also been laying infertile eggs but her behaviour has not chnaged in any way neither has her feeding behaviour.

Thanks x.

See less See more
#2 ·
hi there
for what you have said she seams a good weight for a leo that has laid eggs you could try reptiboost this helps with hydration and also stimulates appetite, have you changed anything in her viv as leo dont like change very much is the most hide in the cool end or hot could be that is not as worm in there as her hot hide and she might be just cooling could you pop a photo of her up with some under belly shots as well as full upper shots to give me a idea of condition but i would say it may be she just need a pick me up to get her back on track

Paul

#3 ·
Her moist hide is in the hot end but is a degree or two cooler than her hot hide as it is a small plastic tub and has a base. It sits at around 28-29c. She is not digging around in it just lays flat out in it and refuses to come out unless we lift her out of it. She was living with the other female leo they came as living together happily and did seem fine but then one started laying eggs and this one started attacking the other one, this was back in may. Thats the only thing that has changed really over the last few months. Oh and she is shedding fine.
I will put some pics up this evening of her.
Paul, Thanks for replying.

#5 ·
We have thought of one thing that changed. We tried her on play sand as a substrate we only used it for a few days as neither of our leos seemed to like it. They seemed afraid to even move on it so we went straight back to using kitchen towel. Anyway here are the pics not overly clear as we only have a phone to take them on. When we had her out for the pics we noticed she was licking her lips alot like she had just eaten but she hadn't.

#7 ·
She last layed eggs towards the end of july. In total I believe she has laid eggs 5 or 6 times since we got her in may, two at a time. Before when she was carrying eggs she would keep digging in the kitchen towel and standing at the glass doors digging at them. A coupld of days after this she would lay the eggs always in her moss box. She has not been displaying any of these behaviours, other than sitting in her moss box permanently.

#9 ·
She has been pooing ok not a huge amount but then she is not eating a great deal. We place a morio worm in front of her moss hide and she will grab it trying her hardest to keep her back end in the moss box occasionally she will eat two of them. She very rarely comes all the way out for it. She eats them then turns her back on us and curls up in her moss agian. I have not got any locusts at the moment. We have not seen her drink but then we never see the other leo drink either .

#11 ·
I cant see the pictures that clearly at the moment. I cant get on my comp so posting and viewing via phone. She certainly has a rotund shape and could possibly have eggs in her belly. However if she is eating and pooping its unlikely she is in distress of egg retention. It might be that she is still producing eggs then reabsorbing them. It might be worth sticking another egg box in but containing something like eco earth. Leos do sometimes hold on to eggs if they dont have what they deem a suitable lay site. It would also be worth increasing yr warm end temp to 33c and put her moist hide and new egg box one third resting on the area of the heatmat. If your still concerned though get a vet to check her out. A physical exam would give more idea if there is anything going on in her belly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.