Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah i know, dumbest question ever but...
I was wondering if having a large hamster wheel inside a Leo viv would work. I was thinking it would be a good way of exersize or boredom killer. Or would it be sick and cruel :hmm:

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,634 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH NO. I can see where you are coming from but there are basic differences which would rule it out IMO. As rum&coke says there is a big chance that physically there could be problems. But also Leos are not like hamsters that would, in the wild, roam for miles so need to feel that they are travelling. Leos like to stay in one territory - as long as the food supply is sufficient - where they feel safe. So they would feel no need to use a wheel.
Ppl have posted in the past about possibly putting Leos in those hamster balls but even that is a big no no as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Considering that you aren't supposed to use a typical wheel for a rat, due to the fact that they could get their tail caught in it...I would definitely say you shouldn't use one for a leopard gecko. I also highly highly doubt it would even use it. Reptiles aren't as easily entertained as a mouse or hamster ;)

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Thanks for all the replies
YouTube - Gecko in hamster wheel
I dont see how a gecko could get caught on a wheel, what if it was a fancy rat wheel. If theres a risk then i wont try it. How do Leopard geckos get excersize then or do they just not?
Generally they just don't really need alot of exercise. Hunting for food would be plenty of exercise for the gecko. You have to remember the gecko and the rodent are totally different in that the rodent is warm blooded and eats alot of nuts and seeds and has plenty of energy to burn off any time of day or night. And the gecko a reptile is cold blooded it needs to rest in the warm to get its body at the right temperature to be able to move around and hunt for its food. It really does not have the same need for exercise as a mammal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts