Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm hoping to breed some leopard gecko's in the future when my leo's are old enough and are correct weights for breeding.

Anyway, i'm being really dimm and want to know if i was to breed my Male Highy Hellow with a Normal female, what would i get?? Just normals?

Any help is REALLY appreciated :notworthy:

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
High yellow is just selective colouration, it's not really a "genetic" morph - genetically, high yellow is normal, you will get all normals.

However you may get some that you would consider high yellows, I personally don't consider high yellow a morph and they're pretty normals but I know a lot of people to take high yellow seriously :)

Genetically they'll all be normal though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Athravan. I thought the babies would be normals, not that there is anything wrong with that, i think all Leo's are cute :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
may be worth getting a female high yellow to pair with him. You'd get some very high yellow then (would they be super high yellow??? I'm still learnng)

thats my plan for next year. breeding a female high yellow to a giant hi yellow male!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
theres no such thing as a super high yellow. But chances of getting high yellows out of this cross is much bigger then with high yellow x normal. (theres still chance of getting normals though)
There's also chance that there are some better looking than the parents among your hatchlings which you can then breed again to create geckos with brighter yellow and less spotting.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am actually getting normal pos het tremper albino and pos giant females

What does this meam and will these produce normal babies with my high yellow?

Sorry for stupid questions, these genetics confuse me sometimes. :blush:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If they are 'possible' hets this means they possibly carry the albino / giant gene. You can't know this for sure until you breed them. But if they are het tremper albino and the other is giant the outcomes with your high yellow will be:

high yellow x normal het tremper albino:
100% normals of which statistically half will be het tremper albino, some normals will also show reduced spotting (because of the high yellow father)
Once again all babies will look like normals and you can't tell which are het albino and which aren't. Only way of knowing sure is keeping several and breeding these to the het albino parent.
then you have a normal het tremper (baby) x normal het tremper (mother):
25% of getting albinos
75% normals of which some are het albino.

As you can tell this is all very hard and its easiest just finding out if your leo actually is het tremper or not.
You can do this by getting yourself a het tremper or even better a 'real' tremper albino.
if you cross you poss het albino x tremper and all babies are normal you can assume your leo poss het isn't het so just normal.
if 50% of the babies are albino then your female is a het albino:)

The giant makes things a little less complicated
Giants are called giants because they're bigger than non giant geckos and much heavier.
So just feed her well and let her grow without breeding her for at least a year. Keep weekly (preferrably) / monthly tracks of her weight and compare this to a normal gecko's weight (you can also ask the people of the forum what they think when you show theme a sheme with her weights)
if she is definetely bigger and heavier then she's a giant. If she is that means the outcome with your high yellow will be:
50% normals (some reduced spotted (once again because of the high yellow)
50% normal giants (also some reduced spotted)
The tricky part is you don't know if theyre giant or not until you've had them for a couple of months and there are some babys who stand out (bigger, heavier)

sorry for my long story and maybe confusing one. So just ask what isn't clear to you yet. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow that's pretty impressive. Thanks for giving me the low down :notworthy:

this forum is ace. The girls i'm getting are only 3 months old so wont be breeading for a while, and my male is only 7 months but just wanted to know out of curiosity, No doubt i'll be asking more questions if and when i get eggs :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
nice one, sounds like good advice to us!!

Whilst High Yellows are considered pretty normal to many, very high yellow selectively breed animals do look awesome and can be bred into for example the Enigma line (incompletely dominant morph) to good effect. So a project to produce very high yellow Leo's could be very worthwhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts