Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like my fat tails, i wanna have a go at breeding my leos.

I've currently got a male female pair. but i want to add maybe 2 more females in as a breeding group in a 3x2x1.5 viv.

What do you reckon, i've got all the breeding info i need now (although help will be appreciated as you can never know too much about something).

Is it possible for me to add 2 new females (obviously similar sized)?

Also anyone know of any online reasources on the genetics of the morphs and how to predict which morphs will occur from certain parents etc.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
hiya mike.im into breeding my leos too.If you have a leo pair then of course you know about the 2 or more female to 1 male thing.with regards to introducing them,then i would recomend keeping the other females in another viv and just introducing the male into their viv when you do intend to breed your leos.I keep my leos seperate as my female is a little fussy about her males.she was in the same viv as my male but simply didnt seem to get horny because the male was there all the time.I have read that if you seperate them its easyer breed them and also you dont have the "bullying" that can sometimes happen if left with the male.My male was getting a little pushy and tending to eat her food to so i thought it was best to seperate her so it doesnt stress her.

Im not to sure about the gentics bit myself but i always go for a colourfull male as apparently-or so i herd-the male's genes are stronger then the females so you get a better idea of what its going to mix like.

im sure the others can help you out a little better then i can :roll:

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
hi there

Not much I can add to nuttys post, (seems to be beating me to all the answers recently !! :evil: :evil: )

Genetics is a pretty indepth subject, you need to learn about the dom and recesive genes, geno types, and something along the lines of phonogenes (prob spelled wrong)

Some genes are visable, others are not, hets ect, effects of temp, incubation times, possible use of uv.

I dont really know enough to explain it all, but there are some great web sites and I belive a good thread (think its a sticky) on this site somewhere

Personally, I dont go for trying to breed any specific morph, not my market, but enjoy trying to predict the outcome !

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts